The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, October 15, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #24

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



24



When I woke up I could see it was close to dinner.  I went in the bathroom, washed my face and headed to the day-room.  It was filling up with people.  Clara was waiting for me at our table.  At the table next sat Mildred, Nancy, Audrey and Gladys and they were all laughing about something.


Kate came up to the tables and said “I don’t know what you all did outside but whatever it was I like it.  I haven’t seen everyone so chipper in a long time.”

“Oh, you’ll find out soon” Gladys said.

“Hmm” Kate said as she went to the nurse’s station and we all laughed.

“So, have you decided what you want to dress up as yet” Clara asked me.

“Yep.”

“So” she asked.

“I’m not telling until tomorrow.  That was what we decided, right?”

“Yes, I guess I can wait.”

Cheryl put our trays in front of us.  Clara and I were pretty hungry and we didn’t talk much but I could hear the other ladies chattering away. 

One of the aides came and took our trays away and said to Clara “Let me know when your ready Clara and we’ll get your shower done early.”

“Whenever you’re ready I’m ready.”

“Okay, as soon as I get done with the dinner trays I’ll take you.”

“I’ll meet you in my room.  I’ll go get my stuff ready.  I’ll see you either later or in the morning Annie.”

When Annie left, I went to the family room to the computer again.  I checked my email but I still didn’t get anything from Stella.  I really wasn’t expecting anything from her but I wondered if Julie talked to her to see if she went to the doctor.  I decided to go to my room and call Julie.

I picked up the phone but I couldn’t remember Julie’s number.  “Darn it” I said out loud. 

“Is something wrong Annie” Cheryl asked as she came in the room.

“I wanted to call my daughter but I can’t remember her number.”

“I’ll go down and get it from Kate and I’ll bring it back for you.”

“Thanks dear.”

When Cheryl left, I decided to put my nightclothes on.   While I was changing, Cheryl knocked on the door and said “I’ll put the number by the phone for you.”

“Okay, I’m changing clothes.  Thanks.”

“I’m going to be leaving soon.  I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye dear” I said.

I was done and I headed straight for the phone and dialed Julie’s number and I heard Jill’s voice say hello.

“Hi honey, this is grandma.”

“Hi grandma, how are you doing?”

“I’m doing great.  How was the information I gave you?”

“I loved it grandma.  It’s so interesting. It’s going to be perfect for my project.”

“I’m so glad.  Honey is your mom home?”

“Yes, hang on.  I’ll go get her for you”. 

I could hear Jill holding the phone and yelling grandma’s on the phone ma and I chuckled.

“Mom, are you all right” Julie asked.

“I’m fine.  I was wondering if you heard anything about Stella.”

“Yes, she has a really bad case of pneumonia. She went to the doctor and he sent her right to the ER.   I was in the hospital and I happened to see them wheeling her to a room.”

“Oh no, I hope she’s going to be all right.  You know Stella has asthma.  She’s always had a lot of issues with her lungs.”

“I’m sure her doctor knows that mom.  They will put her on intravenous antibiotics.  I’m sure she will be fine.  How are things going?”

“Great.  I had a wonderful day today.  They will be having children come for Halloween in a couple of days and the residents pass out candy to them.  Some of the gals and I were out in the courtyard and we came up with idea of dressing up in costumes when we pass the candy out.”

“That sounds like fun.  What are you going to be?”

“I have all the makings for a gypsy costume.”

“You know how many times you made me dress like a gypsy” and she laughed.

“Hey, now” and I laughed with her.  “How’s everything at your house?”

“Things are okay.  The kids are finishing up their homework, then bath time and a little bit of TV and then off to bed for them and me.”

“I’ll let you go.  Call me and let me know if you hear something about Stella.”

“Okay mom, I’m happy you called.  Have a good night.”

“Night darling” and we hung up.

I sat on the rocker and started to knit.



 

No comments: