The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, August 31, 2012

Mary #24

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd, 2012.


24

Mary got to the hospital and parked her car.  She went to the desk and asked where ICU was.  She went in the elevator to the 4th floor.  When she got out she noticed the waiting room.  She could see Jimmy and Elizabeth sitting there.  She studied Elizabeth for a minute.  She still had that same beautiful long blond hair but she seemed thinner.  She also looked very tired.  Mary walked into the waiting room and said "Elizabeth?” 

Elizabeth looked up, ran to Mary and hugged her.  

"What are you doing here" she asked. 

"I was in the neighborhood and I heard about Mitch and I thought I'd come by.  I brought you this.”   

Mary handed her the prayer shawl. 

Elizabeth smiled and put the shawl on but then started feeling faint.  Mary and Jimmy helped her to a seat.
 
"I'm fine you two.  It's probably just all the stress the last couple of days over Mitch.  Jimmy why don't you go home and be with Donna?  Mary's here now, she can keep me company when I can't be in with Mitch.” 

"Are you sure?” 

"Yeah, we'll be fine Jimmy.  I don't have to be anywhere.  I can sit with Elizabeth all day and night if need be.” 

He got up and kissed Mary on the cheek.  Next, he went over to Elizabeth and gave her a hug.  

"Jimmy, I don't know what I would have done without you the last few days.”

"Call me if you two need anything.  Otherwise, I'll see you tomorrow.”  He headed off to the elevator and they watched him go in.

"How is Mitch doing?” 

"Not well.  They're going to give him another day to see some improvement.  It was one thing being in the coma but then having the heart attack on top of it.  They really aren't giving me much hope.  They said I might have to think about taking him off the ventilator.” 

"Oh no" Mary said.  "You look exhausted, Elizabeth". 

"I am.  Did Jimmy tell you my other news about the breast cancer?”

"Yes, he told me, I'm so sorry.”

“Yeah, me too, who would have thought someone my age would be diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer right off the bat.  I felt this lump a while ago and they kept saying let's watch it.  Apparently, we watched it too long.”

"What was wrong with those doctor's.  They should know that younger women can get breast cancer.  It makes me so angry.” 

"It made me angry too but I had to let that go.  I don't know how much time I have left and there's no sense being angry over something I can't change.  I really love the prayer shawl.  That's what this is, right?” 

"You guessed it.” 

"So, you got religion since you left?” 

Mary chuckled "I always had religion.  I just never had Church going religion.  I still remembered all my vacation bible school prayers and I used those while I knitted.”

"It's beautiful Mary and the fact that your prayed over it, makes it that more special to me" and she gave Mary a hug.

Elizabeth looked at the clock and said, "I can go in and see Mitch now for a half hour.  Do you want to come with me?” 

Mary said "Sure, let's go.”  

They got up and went in.  Mary was a little shocked and felt faint when she saw Mitch. 

Elizabeth went right up to Mitch gave him a kiss and said, "Look who came to visit you.  My long lost best friend, Elizabeth" as she pulled a chair to sit down next to the bed. 

Mary went up to the bed and said, "Hi Mitch.” 

Elizabeth looked at Mary and could see she was turning pale and said, "Are you okay, Mary?” 

"Well, to tell you the truth, I feel a little warm.” 

"Why don't you go get some water and sit in the waiting room and I'll be out in a little while.”

“Okay” Mary said. 

Mary barely made it to the waiting room and sat down.  A nurse followed her in and said "Are you all right?”

"I just felt a little faint.” 

"Let me get you some water" and she brought a cup of water.  "Here, drink this.  I saw you come out of Mr. Connell's room and you didn't look good.” 

"I don't know what came over me.  I looked at all those machines and I just got real warm.  I had to get out of there. Not very good support for my friend, I'm afraid.” 

"Don't beat yourself up, honey.  The first time someone sees a person with all the machines makes a lot of people feel like that.  Trust me, you'll get used to it and will be able to go in and it won't bother you at all.”

"Gee, I hope your right.” 

"You will.  Just drink the water, taken a deep breath and relax.  Your friend will be out soon and she'll need you.  Take care.” 

"Thanks", Mary said. 

Mary sat and watched TV waiting for Elizabeth to come out.  When Elizabeth came out, she had tears in her eyes.  

"Are you okay?” 

"Yeah, I'm fine.  He just doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow if things don’t change.”

"Let's worry about tomorrow when we have to.” 

"You’re probably right.  How are you feeling?  You looked like you were going to faint in there.” 

"I apologize.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to stay in there.  I don't know what happened.” 

"It's not easy seeing anyone like that.  If he wasn't my husband, I don't know if I would be in there.  It'll be another couple of hours before I can go back in.  There's an old diner down the street would you like to get some supper?"

"That would be great, let's go.”

 

No comments: