The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mom's eyes

 I haven't mentioned about mom's eyes lately but ..

Good news - In October we took Mom back to the eye doctor after she had issues with the one cataract eye surgery.  Mom was able to see two more lines on the eye chart than she did before.  They checked to see if with glasses she could see even better and she could.  Although we didn't get any there.  She told the doctor she could see well and he told her if she didn't want to she didn't have to wear glasses.  He did ask her if she could read without glasses and she said yes.  I knew she couldn't.  When we waited for her transportation back I had her try to read a magazine without her glasses and she couldn't. 

Bad news -  The doctor told me Mom has macular degeneration from aging in both eyes but the left is worse.  She will now be taking vitamins which some studies show helps slow the process.

Good news- She had her eyes examined at the nursing home in November, she should be getting her new glasses pretty soon, ha!


 





4 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Each day brings us a new problem. sighhhhh
(((hugs)))Pat

Vicki/Jake said...

Hope she gets use to yet another change in her life. My dad's having to deal with being able to breath better now, but not being able to talk so good anymore...side affects of the powdery inhalers. Awww life....

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

There are so many blessings and challenges as we age, aren't there? I get the feeling God wants us to have a healthy dose of both as this life gives way to the next.

God bless her. And you for overseeing her care. Goodness knows, nursing homes are busy places and things fall through the cracks if families don't help out. You'd be surprised how many families don't help out. It breaks my heart.

Ames said...

What vitamins Viki? I have floaters in my eyes real bad. I wonder if the vitamins might help me? Glad to hear your mom has some improvement.~Ames