The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, March 30, 2012

Mary #2

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd,  2012.

2

After crying for hours, Mary fell asleep on the couch under one of her grandma's quilts that her Ma always had on the old worn couch.  She was awakened when she thought she heard someone at the door. Trembling, she snuck to the front door with the fire poker in her hand to peek out.  It was pitch black, as only the country could be.  She quickly turned on the porch light but no one was there.  She thought she must have been dreaming.  Then she saw something out of the corner of her eye lying on the porch floor.   It was Lulu, her tabby cat.  She put down the fire poker and opened the front door.  Lulu jumped right into her arms like no time had passed.    "Lulu” Mary said.  "You scared the bejeezus out of me.  It's good to see your still alive old girl and that you remember me.”   Mary went and got Lulu some water and went back to the couch.  Lulu jumped right under the quilt with Mary. 

As Mary laid there with Lulu and petted her, she remembered when she found Lulu.  She and her best friend, Elizabeth, were playing in the woods and a little tabby kitten kept following them.  She would only come to Mary.  Mary told Elizabeth "this is a sign this cat is mine" and Lulu stayed. 

That's enough of that Mary thought; I don't want to think about Elizabeth.  That's not what this visit is about.   Mary concentrated on Lulu purring softly on her chest and fell back asleep. 

The sunlight came streaming through the living room windows.  Mary could hear a purring sound.  What the heck, she thought.  Opening her eyes, she could see Lulu purring right by her face.  She smiled and gave her a pat on the head.  "I bet you’re hungry.  Let's go see if there's anything in the kitchen to feed you.” 

She got up and Lulu followed her.  Lulu went right to the bottom pantry door and purred.  Mary thought that must be where the food is.  She opened it up and there were dozens of cans of cat food and dry food.  She picked up the dish that had dry food in it and threw it out.  "I guess when Johnny or Jimmy stop by if they're not going to be around a while they just leave you dry food.  Now that I'm here for a while you'll just be getting the good stuff” and Lulu rubbed up against her legs.  "You still understand when I talk to you.   That's good because right now I've got some things to work out and I only need a listener.” 

While the cat was eating, Mary looked around to see if there was any coffee.  Thank goodness, there was.   As the coffee was brewing, Mary looked outside with a little sadness.  She remembered when she was big enough to look out the window above the sink all she would see were cornstalks and sunflowers as far as the eye could see.  Now that her Ma and Pa were gone and they were going to sell the homestead there was no planting done this season.

She poured a cup of coffee and decided to go sit on the front porch. She remembered how she loved mornings out there.  As she walked past the living room she saw her luggage sitting there. "I can't face the rest of the house just yet" she said as Lulu was right behind her.   
 
She headed for outside and noticed a box sitting on one of the rockers.  She opened it and took the tissue paper out, she found a note it said, I'll drop off some food for you in the afternoon.  No questions asked.  I love you Mary, no matter what.  I’m happy your back.  Love, Johnny.  

She looked further in the box and there was a beautiful pink guardian angel.  How like Johnny to remember how fond I am of angels.  I wonder if my collection is still in my old bedroom, she thought.  I'll have to look later when I get the nerve to go upstairs.  Now, I just want to look at open spaces and clear my mind of everything. 
 


No comments: