The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, March 12, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #20

This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.

20

I got my sweater and walked to the nurse’s station and said “We’re ready to go outside when someone is available”.

I sat down at the table and Clara and I waited for the aide to come.

“I’m going out to dinner with my daughter’s family today.  It’s my son-in-law’s birthday.”

“That should be fun.”

“I haven’t seen my grand-kids for a while.  It will be good to see them.”

“Does your daughter work?”

“Yes, she does.  I don’t mean to brag but she’s a pediatrician and her husband is a surgeon.”

“Wow, two doctors in the family.”

“Ladies are you ready to go outside?”

“We sure are” and the aide pushed Clara while I walked along side.

We got to the courtyard and it was pretty full with residents and their families.  We found a little corner to sit in as the aide went and talked to another aide.

She came back and said “If you don’t mind, I’ll go back to the floor.  There are a lot of aides out today and they can just call me when you two want to go back in.”

“That will be fine, dear” I said

“Left all alone, whatever shall we do” Clara said and all of us laughed. 

As the aide left, she pointed at one of the girls and put her hand up to her head like she was talking on the phone so we would know who to talk to when we wanted to leave. 

“It looks like there are a lot of visitors already.”

“I’ve noticed on the weekends there are many more visitors than on weekdays.  It probably happens with families being so busy nowadays.   If a spouse is in here though, usually their partner comes every day and visits.”

“I would imagine the spouse is probably lonely at home without the other person.”

“To tell you the truth, I think if my Harold was in here, I don’t know if I would visit him every day.  I think I would be too heartbroken.”

“Yes, it probably would be hard but we’ll never know now will we.”

“Mrs. Dunkin, is that you?” the woman said as she came up to me.

“Yes, I’m Mrs. Dunkin.”

“My name’s Mary Jenkins.  I had you for English all through high school.”

“Why yes dear I remember you, haven’t you grown into a beautiful woman?”

“Thank you.  I’m here visiting my grandmother.  You were always my favorite teacher.  I probably never told you that at the time but I went into journalism and write for the newspaper.”

“What a wonderful profession.  It’s nice of you to say I had a hand in that.”

“I won’t interrupt your visit; I just wanted to come by for a minute.”

“That’s okay, dear.  I live here now.”

“Oh” she said and I could see the shock on her face.  “If you wouldn’t mind then perhaps I can visit you sometime when I’m her to see my grandmother.”

“That would be lovely.”

“See you later then” and she walked away. 

“I suppose I’ll be running into people here some times that don’t know I’m living here.  I’ll have to get used to that look.”

“It’ll be okay Annie” and she patted my arm. 

“This is really a nice courtyard with all the tables and umbrellas” as I changed the subject.  “I wonder if they would allow us to eat outside before it gets too cold.”

“Let’s ask when we get back.  I think I’m really going to like having you here.”

“Did you know they have outings that we can go on?  In the winter it slows up but I know in November they usually go to eat at an apple orchard.”

“That would be nice to do.  Do they do anything for the holidays?”

“Oh yes.  A couple of days before Halloween, they bring children in with their costumes on and provide us with candy to give the kids.  Also, for Christmas the whole place is decorated and they have many entertainers come in.  They really do a wonderful job.”

We sat quietly for a while watching the people and when I looked at Clara she was dozing.   I closed my eyes for a time and when I opened them Clara was still not awake.  I caught the aide’s eyes and pointed to my wrist to see what time it was.  It was already 3:00.  I thought about going in about 4:00 to get freshened up before Julie came.

Clara suddenly woke up and said, “I must have fallen asleep.  I can’t believe it.”

“You must have needed it.  The air is so fresh; it makes me want to nap too.  Soon I’ll have to be going back in to get ready.”

“Anytime, just let me know.”

We sat for a while longer and then I asked the aide to call for us.

The aide walked us back to our floor and I said goodbye to Clara and went to my room to get ready.




 

2 comments:

BECKY said...

Hi Viki! I haven't stopped by often enough to read your ongoing story. I apologize! I LOVE stopping here, though, because I love the picture of the house...is that yours? I just want to knock on the door and be your best friend! LOL It looks so homey and welcoming!

Ames said...

Hi Viki! Sorry I haven't stopped by sooner. I've been babysitting my one year old granddaughter and uh well I guess I am out of practice because I am flat whooped at days end. It's something different each time. Today was a mega poop mess. Eck! Haven't had to clean up one of those since my invalid father blew up the toilet. He flush when I started the wash (old plumbing) and the toilet literally blew up. The tub back up. I was shampooing for two days. Horrible I tell you. Baby Lily wasn't near the mess. I should be thankfull for that!LOL!

The story is coming along nicely. Some of the homes down here do the Christmas Carolers and Trick or Treaters too. Not sure if they do field trips.~Ames