The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, May 25, 2012

Mary #10

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd, 2012.


10


Mary jumped out of bed, put her clothes on and went to Johnny's room to see if he was up yet.  She knocked on the door and then opened it; it looked like he never made it upstairs.  She started going down the stairs very slowly so the old steps wouldn't creak.  Since Johnny was still sleeping she would make his breakfast and then wake him up.  When she got to the bottom she looked at the sofa and he wasn't there.  The afghan was folded up and put on the back of the sofa.  Mary went to the back door and looked out and his car was gone.  That's odd she thought, it's only 6 in the morning and he's gone already. 

She got Lulu's food out and fed her.  She started the coffee and did the dinner dishes while she waited for the coffee to get done.  When she looked outside, it was a beautiful sunny day and she could tell it was already warming up.  She decided to get the rest of the weeding done.  It would be muddy but it should be easier to get the weeds out she thought.  When she was done with the dishes, she poured a cup of coffee and decided to grab a couple of chocolate chip cookies that were in the cookie jar that Jimmy had brought.

As she headed to the front porch, she noticed a piece of paper on the coffee table.  She went over, picked it up and took it outside with her to read. 

It was a note from Johnny that said "Sorry I had to leave so early but I still had one more day of work for the week and I can't be late.  I don't have a Sadie to watch my back.  I had a great time.  Maybe we could do it again if you’re up for it.  Love, Johnny." 

Mary put the note in her pants pocket and thought about what she would do after the weeding while she ate her cookies.  If she started pretty soon she could be done by noon and would have the whole rest of the day ahead of her. 

Mary loved being back but she was starting to get a little tired of just being on the farm.   She thought maybe she could go see a movie.  She wouldn't go to the theater in her town but she knew there had to be some in another town a little farther away.   She hadn’t checked yet to see if she had Internet access on her phone.  She would check it out later and see what movies were out and as long as she would be out, she would stop and pick up some bubble bath for the tub. 

Mary went to the barn, got the trowel and the rug and went to work on the flower beds again.

Sure, enough by noon she was finished.  She looked up to the sky and said "How's that Pa?  Ma's flowers look pretty good without all those weeds in there" and she went inside.  

She was a little hungry and looked in the fridge.  There was some salad leftover from last night's dinner so she put it on the table, got a fork, a glass of water and started eating. 

"Good thing Jimmy's not here, he would be tattling for sure that I was eating out of the serving bowl." Mary said to the always present Lulu.  


When she was done eating, she got her cell phone to see if she could get the Internet.  Thank goodness, she thought.  Now let's look up theaters that will be far enough away.  She saw there was an older movie she hadn't seen starting at 3:00.  She thought that gives me enough time for a quick bath. 

She ran upstairs took a quick bath and headed for her bedroom.  She put on her make-up and combed her long brown hair.  She put on a pair of white jeans, a pink T-shirt and grabbed her pink cardigan.  She said her goodbye to Lulu and headed to the car.  She was excited to get going. 

She drove for about an hour and found the theater.  Before she got out of the car, she grabbed the pink baseball cap she had in the car and put it on and headed to the ticket counter. 

 "I'll take one for Julie and Julia please".  She stopped at the candy counter and bought a small bag of popcorn and a small coke and found her seat.

She was about 20 minutes early.  The theater wasn't very crowded so she decided to clean up the calls on her cell phone since she hadn't had time to delete messages.  

All of a sudden she heard what sounded like a familiar voice.  She looked up and there was Elizabeth's sister, Jody, with someone she didn't recognize.  She put her head down and lowered her cap.  The two women were talking so much they never even noticed Mary.  However, they did sit about two rows right behind her.  Oh no she thought, I'm going to have to get out of here. 


 

 

No comments: