The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Tuesday, August 3, 2010

PSA - Quick Thinking

When hippie and I were dating, we left his house and he was taking me home.  It was pretty late at night, so there weren't a lot of cars around. It was in the wintertime.   We were stopped at a light and all of a sudden we heard a thud.  A car hit us from behind. 


He went out and talked to the guy.  At the time, there were no cell phones (it was the dark ages) and he went across the street to an outside public phone to call the police.

I think the guy didn't realize there was someone else in the van.  All of a sudden, I noticed the guy looked like he was starting to pull out. WTH, I knew a call was being made to the police.   For some reason,  until this day, I can't believe I had the presence of mind to reach for a pencil and a piece of paper and wrote the guy's license plate number down as he left.  


When hippie came back, I gave him the license number. When the police came,  we gave it to them LOL. We followed them to his house.  We never got out of the van and just watched.   Turns out the guy went home and put the car in the garage.  The police had him open his garage and sure enough they could see the paint from the van on the guys bumper. Busted!!  lol

So my PSA:  Always make sure you have paper and pencil handy in your vehicle.  You might need it if a drunk decides to hit and run.   Just sayin'  ;-)

2 comments:

~~Rhonda said...

Good for you! A hint I saw on TV once...if you don't have paper and pencil handy, rub your finger across your forehead (or something else with oil) and write numbers, descriptions, car make, whatever, on glass or something shiny. The police can lift the info as they do a fingerprint, even if it can't be seen. Then you don't have to try to memorize the info. Thought it was a good tip. ~~Rhonda

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

EXCELLENT!!! You had the makings of a private investigator!!!