The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, April 20, 2012

Mary #5

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd, 2012.

5


"I wasn't expecting anyone.” Mary said as she came down the steps in denim capris and a white t-shirt with her hair still in a ponytail. 

" I knocked but no one answered.  I brought you some groceries but I see Johnny beat me to it.”

 "That's okay, I remember Pa saying you can never have too much food" and then she bit her lip for bringing up their Pa.  "Johnny said you, Donna and the kids are going on a trip.  When are you leaving?”  

"In a few days." 

"You want a glass of wine?” 

"Sure but not much, I've got things to do when I get home.”  

As she went into the kitchen, Jimmy thought about Pa.  Why did she have to even mention him?  I've got so many questions about the time she spent with them last Christmas.  Everyone was so upset at the funeral there wasn't any time for that then.  Since Ma and Pa wanted to be buried in the Appalachia's of West Virginia where they came from, we all were just in an out.

"Jimmy. Jimmy?"  she could tell he was far off somewhere in his mind.  "Here's your wine" as she finally got his attention.  "So, tell me, how are Donna and the kids?” 

He brightened up “Donna’s doing well.  She is still cancer free.  Jake and Hannah, what can I really say about them both being teenagers and driving.  They're hardly home.  That is why we're looking so forward to this vacation.  We'll have a captive audience" and they both laughed. 

He finished up his glass of wine and said "I better hit the road." 

Mary walked him to the car.  "Thanks for bringing the food Jimmy that was very thoughtful of you.” 

He laughed "Not my usual self, eh? Do you want me to give Elizabeth a message from you?" 

"No please don't.  I said I didn't want anyone to know I was here.”  

"I know you said that Mary but I didn't think that applied to Elizabeth.”

 "Well, it does.  Please just do this for me Jimmy!”

"Okay, I said I wouldn't tell anyone and I won't.  I didn't even tell Donna and the kids you were here.  I still don't understand what the big secret is but I'll keep my promise. You take care and I'll see you when I get back.  Oh I almost forgot, nice job on the flowerbed” and with a wink he started his car and took off.

Mary went back into the house and felt light as a feather as she went and sat at the kitchen table.   

She said out loud "That went pretty well except for the slip up about Pa.   Now I can have some peace and deal with other stuff around here now that I'm sure he won't be telling anyone I'm here.” 

She got up and started emptying the grocery bags.  She was getting hungry since she hadn't eaten since breakfast.  These are nice pork chops he bought, she thought.  She decided to fry one up and make home fries just like her Ma used to do. 

She got out the cast iron skillets, found an old apron and started cooking and putting the rest of the groceries away.  

 Mary went to the buffet in the dining room, got a white linen table cloth out and put it on the dining room table.  She took a place setting of her Ma's good china and silverware and put it on the table.  She always loved it but her Ma only used it for special occasions which were rare.  She remembered opening the drawer on the buffet and just looking at the China when she was a kid.  How the delicate little pink flowers surrounded the edges.  

She glanced up and said  "Ma, I'm using your good stuff.  I hope that's okay.” 

Then she noticed the old turntable sitting in the corner.  She wondered if it still worked  Whatever was on there she decided she would play because it's the last thing her Ma and Pa would have been listening too. 

She ran outside in the dark, and clipped some roses off  her Ma's prized pink rose bush.  Went in the kitchen, put the flowers in an old Mason jar and put them on the table.  Then she took the plate and put her food on it.  Grabbed a bottle of wine and wine glass and she was ready to sit down except for getting up one more time and turning the turntable on.  As she sat back down she heard familiar voices and smiled.  After all those years they still listened to Simon and Garfunkel. 


 

No comments: