The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, April 27, 2012

Mary #6

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd, 2012.

6


The music had stopped and Mary was just finishing up the last of her meal when in the faint distance, she heard a phone ringing.  What's that she thought?  That must be my cell phone.  She had forgotten that she had shoved her phone in her luggage when she was getting on the plane.  As she opened it up to get it the phone stopped ringing.  She took it out and saw she had 15 missed calls and some messages.  Oh boy, gone from the city for a few days and you forget you have a cell phone she thought.  As she clicked through the missed calls, they were all from Sadie her best friend.  She decided to listen to the messages, again all from Sadie saying she was worried, asking if she was okay.

Mary picked up the phone and dialed Sadie's number.  

She picked up on the first ring.  "Mary" Sadie asked.

 "Yeah, it's me.  What are all the messages about?"

 "I was worried about you.  I knew you weren't looking forward to going back home.  I thought you would have called to tell me that you got there all right.”

 "Sorry, everything's fine.  Just don't expect to hear from me too much, okay? I've got a lot of things to do.  How's everything going at the hotel?” 

"It's great.  No one even misses the head honcho" and Sadie laughed. 

"Oh now I see, while I'm gone you’re going to try and get my job and move up the ladder.” 

"No one could do as good a job as you can Mary and we both know it.  Believe me your job is safe even with you taking time off.  Remember you’re the Girl Wonder around here" and they both howled with laughter.  Then Sadie said "I'm a plane ride away Mary if you need me.” 

"Thanks Sadie, I'll talk to you in a few days" and hung up.

Mary cleaned off the table and started doing the dishes.  As she looked through the kitchen window at the blackness of the night, she thought about how she first met Sadie.   

After four years of college in New York, she came home for a year and put in applications everywhere for a job in Hotel Management.  She remembered when she finally got the call for her dream job to come in for an interview in New York.  Her Ma and Pa were disappointed that she would apply for a job out of state but that didn't deter her from going.  She went there on a Monday and briefly saw Sadie as she was entering one of the interviewing rooms. 

Months later, she got the call that she got the job.   On the first day, she saw Sadie there.  They talked for a bit and Mary mentioned that she had seen her the day of her interview.

She remembered Sadie laughed and said "Yeah, I didn't get the job you did, but there happened to be another job and I was perfect for it.”  

“Lulu that was my friend, Sadie that called” and Lulu looked quizzically at her.  “Where would I be without Sadie always having my back?” 

 
Mary headed up the stairs.  When she got to the top, she looked at her parent’s door and started to go to it.  She put her hand on the glass handled knob but didn't turn it. 

 "Nope, not ready yet" and headed down the hall.  

She put on her nightgown and jumped into bed.  Lulu was right there with her.  As she drifted off to sleep, she thought to herself she would soon be strong enough to enter that room.  She just knew it.  

 

 

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wow! This is quite a journey you've started. Finally got all caught up with Mary, Johnny, Jimmy, and Lulu.

Looking forward to watching this unfold.