The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, July 13, 2012

Mary #17

If anyone does Saturday Centus you might somewhat remember this story started as a centus.  In  June of 2010, I wrote a few chapters on Mary and then stopped.  I had so much to write about her, writing weekly for centus wasn't enough.  I then wrote and wrote until I had over 30,000 words so far.  In writing it though as I got further and further my original premise somehow got blown out of the water, ha, ha. I stopped writing her story in March of 2011.   I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work this out but I thought I would put out what I have so far.   Please remember this is a really rough draft and when I wrote it, I had no chapters.  Before I decided to put this on the blog I had to go back and figure out where I could make them.  I would suggest this is a terrible way of doing it lol.  The first chapter started on March 23rd, 2012.

 

17

Mary went to the freezer and got the small pork roast out and put it in the microwave to defrost.  While it was defrosting, she got the sauerkraut out and put it in the roaster.  She wished she had put the corned beef in the crock pot like she had originally planned because it would be almost done by now but since Johnny wasn't coming she decided not to.  There just wasn't enough time to cook the brisket the right way.  That's okay; he seemed fine with having what I'm making.  She put everything together and put it in the oven.  

She went in the living room to straighten up a little bit.  She took the three diaries and put them in the magazine rack under the table lamp.   Folded up the afghan and put it on the back of the sofa.  She thought about getting the dishes out of the box for the dining room table and then decided not to. 

She went back to the kitchen and set the table with the dishes from the cupboard.  

Mary's phone started ringing.  She could see it was Sadie on the caller ID.  "Hi, Sadie" Mary said. 

"Hi. Sorry, about the other night.  Ralph had a question.  You know Ralph, he's such a worry wart but it was nothing.  How are you doing, you sounded a little frazzled the other night?” 

"To say the least, but it's nothing I want to get into now.  I'm having a dinner guest tonight so I can't talk long.” 

"Let me guess, Eli?  Boy that was quick" and Sadie laughed. 

"Yes, it's Eli but it's not what you think.  It isn't a date it's more of a thank you for mowing the grass type of thing.” 

"Whatever your say, I'll let you go so you can prepare for your non-date. I'll be expecting a call in the next day or two to hear how it went.  Have a good night.  Bye.”

"Bye" Mary said and chuckled. 

"Lulu that was Sadie again, she's always trying to fix me up with someone.  She thinks I'm the marrying kind, unlike her.  I think she read one to many Little House on the Prairie books; just because I grew up on a farm and Ma taught me to sew, cook and can vegetables, she thinks that's a marrying kind of woman" and Mary laughed while Lulu just looked at her. 

Mary looked out the front window and Eli was mowing the front grass.  She thought it'll be at least another hour.  She sat on the sofa and turned on the Home and Garden Channel and started to watch. 

After a while, Mary could see that Eli was close to finishing so she went in the kitchen and decided to make parsley potatoes for the meal.  When they were almost done, Eli came to the back door and she let him in. 

"Can I use the bathroom to wash up a little bit?” 

"Sure, go ahead.  Supper will be ready soon.”

"I'm starved" he said and went into the half bathroom. 

Mary took the pork and sauerkraut out of the oven and let the pork roast sit until Eli came out and sat at the table.  She put the pork roast on one of her Ma's old platters and put the sauerkraut around and put it on the table.  Then she placed the parsley potatoes in a bowl.  "Would you like water or a glass of wine Eli?” 

"Ice water would be great, I don't drink alcohol.” 

 Mary got two glasses and put ice in them.  She thought, she would have water too.  Hmm, he's a non-drinker.  There must be a story there.

She brought the glasses of water to the table and said "Let's eat.”  They filled their plates and started eating.

"So Mary, tell me a little about you.  I know you work in New York but other than that that's about it.”

"Well, there's really not much to tell.  I have a very pressure filled job so I'm pretty much a homebody.  I like to read, knit and do a little quilting but I'm not nearly as good with it as my Ma was.  I have one really close friend named Sadie and a few other friends.  I also love museums and antique shopping.” 

"You ever been married" Eli asked.

"No, I guess I never met the right guy yet" she said.  "How about you; you think you'll ever get married again?”

"I don’t know. Ever since Rachel and Andrew died, I've never even dated.” 

"Who’s Andrew” Mary asked.

"Oh sorry, Rachel died giving birth to our son, Andrew.  He was still born and then she had a heart attack right after he came out and they couldn't bring her back.  It was a pretty bad blow to lose both of them at one time" as a tear came to his eye.

Mary put her hand on Eli's arm and said "I'm so sorry Eli.  It must have been terrible.” 

"Yes, it was terrible" as he wiped the tears from his eyes.  "You know Mary, you got a way of making me want to tell you stuff I haven't talked about in a while" and he laughed.  She laughed too. “This is a really good meal.  Mind if I have some more?” 

"No, go ahead.”

Eli took a second plate full and then asked "If you don't mind me asking you a question, why don't you want anyone to know you’re here?”

Mary hesitated for a minute thinking what she would tell him and then said, "Something happened a long time ago that I'm trying to come to terms with, something that doesn’t only involve me.  I'm not ready to talk about it yet but I think while I'm here, I'm going to have to deal with it because the person it involves might be ill.  I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is and until I know, I'd rather me being here isn't known.” 

"I'm a good listener.  So, if you ever want to talk let me know.”

"Thanks, Eli.  I'm sorry I don't have any dessert.”

"This is going to be plenty.  I'm pretty stuffed now.” 

When they were finishing up Mary said, "Would you like a cup of coffee and go sit on the porch for a while.” 

"Thanks but I think I'm going to get going right after I’m done.  I have to get up early and do some things around the farm.  With Fall being here, I’ve got to start finishing up the farm before winter comes.” 

"Oh, okay" Mary said a little disappointed.

Mary was done eating and when Eli finished up, she started putting the dishes in the sink.  He went in the bathroom and he came out while she was putting the leftovers in the fridge. 

"I think I'm going to head out now" and Mary followed him to the door. 

"Thanks for staying for dinner" she said. 

He grinned and gave her a wink and said "Thanks for asking" and went to his truck. 

Mary went to the front window and watched as he drove out the long driveway.  She sat on the sofa and let out a big sigh.   That was fun she thought.   He seems to be a really nice guy.  
 

No comments: