The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, January 4, 2013

Mary #42

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.



42



“Hello?”



“Hi Mary.”



“Jimmy it’s so weird that you called.  I was just going to call you.”

“Is something wrong with Elizabeth?”

“I don’t think so she’s up taking a nap but I’m going to be getting her up real quick to take her medication.”

“Good, make sure she stays on top of that especially the anti-nauseous meds.  Donna thought she didn’t have to the first time and she wretched all night.  Finally it started working.  She never did that again.”

“Yeah I’m going to.”

“How did she do during the treatment?”

“She was pretty good.  There were a couple of teary moments but we kept ourselves busy and then she fell asleep.”

“I was thinking about stopping by tomorrow to see her, if you think that’s okay.” 

“Sure that would be fine.  In fact there’s something I want to talk to you about and Johnny too.  Could you call him and see if he could come with you?”

“Yeah, I can call Johnny and see what time would be good for him.  Sounds mysterious this thing you want to talk about, am I going to like it?”

“I hope so.  We do have to go for some kind of shot for Elizabeth but I’m sure it will probably be in the morning.”

“Okay, I’ll call Johnny and get back to you.”

“Okay, talk to you in a few.”

Mary went upstairs and knocked on the door and she heard Elizabeth stirring.  She opened the door and said “You want to come down and take your medicine or should I bring it up for you?”

“No, I’ll come down” and she got out of bed and followed Mary downstairs and into the kitchen.

Elizabeth got a glass of water and Mary handed her the pill container.  She looked at the instructions on the bottle, took one out and gulped it down. 

Mary’s phone started to ring “Hello… 2:00...  Let me ask Elizabeth” she took the phone away from her ear and said “Do you want to go for your shot in the morning?  Jimmy wants to stop by around 2:00 tomorrow to visit.” 

“Yes that’s good.”

“Okay Jimmy we’ll see you two tomorrow” and she hung up the phone.

“I guess Donna must be coming too, huh?”

“No, Johnny is coming with him.”

Elizabeth squealed with delight. 

“I told you I was going to do it.  Now how about something to eat, I don’t think you’ve had anything today that I can remember.”

“I’m not really hungry.”

“How about if I make you some toast with peanut butter and jelly on it.”

“Okay” and she sat and watched Mary make the sandwich as she pet Lulu who had jumped on her lap.

“I’ve invited Sadie to come for Thanksgiving” Mary said as she gave Elizabeth the sandwich.

“That will be nice.  I really would like to meet her.  I should be back in my home by then.  You two will be able to have your girl time together.”

“You don’t have to worry about that.  You can stay as long as you want whether she’s here or not.”

“I know but I have a perfectly good home of my own.  I did pretty well when I stayed there last night.  It’s probably better sooner than later that I get used to being there by myself.”

“You’re probably right.”

She had eaten most of the sandwich and then pushed it away and said “I think I’m going to bed.”

“I wrote a schedule of your medications and put them on the fridge so we won’t forget.”

Elizabeth got up and took it off the fridge and said “I’ll take this upstairs with me for now.  Good night and thanks for today.”

“No thanks needed.  I think I’m going to watch some TV and then sleep on the sofa.  If you need anything just holler” and Elizabeth headed upstairs.

Mary washed the few dishes that were there.  Then she got out the broom and swept the kitchen floor. She went upstairs to the bathroom, brushed her teeth and washed her face.  She put her pajamas on and came downstairs and lit a fire.  She closed the curtains and turned all the light off and lay on the sofa to watch TV.  It wasn’t long before she felt drowsy.  She turned the TV off.  She looked at the fire and thought about how she was going to tell Jimmy and Johnny about the B&B.




 

No comments: