The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, January 7, 2013

Mrs. Dunkin #36

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



36



The next morning when I got up I was feeling good.  I got up, got a shower and Kate brought in my pills.



“How are you feeling this morning, Annie?”



“I feel great.  Do you think it would be okay if I went down for breakfast?”

“If you feel up to it, I know the ladies missed you.”

“I’ve missed them too.”

“I’ll have Jane come in while you’re gone and sanitize your room real well.”

“Okay” I said.  I took my pills and went to the day-room. 

“Hi Ladies.”

“Hi Annie” they said.

“We’re glad you’re doing better.  We asked about you every day.  Boy that must have been some flu you had” Clara said.

“You’re telling me.  At first I thought I hogged up too much on Christmas unfortunately that wasn’t the case.  I don’t think I’ve ever had such a bad flu in my whole life.”

The breakfast trays came and we started to eat when I heard “Hi Mom” and I turned around to see Sue standing there. 

“Hi Honey, Ladies this is my daughter-in-law, Sue, she’s in training to be the new receptionist.”

“Hi Sue” they all said.

“Hi everyone, I’m glad to see you’re feeling better.”

“Me too, did you have a good New Year’s at Julie’s?”

“Yes we did.  I can’t stay, I have to go train but I wanted to come by to see how you were doing.”

“Okay have a good day” and Sue left. 

“That’s nice that your daughter-in-law will be working here” Mildred said.

“Wonderful, indeed” I said.  So what’s been happening since I’ve been missing in action.”

“Not much” Gladys said.

“Yeah, right after Christmas it gets pretty boring around here” Nancy said.

“You can say that again” Audrey exclaimed.  “We’re in for the long dreary winter now that there are no holidays for a while.”

“I’m surprised the club doesn’t think of things to do during the down time.  Speaking of the club, I wonder why I haven’t heard anything about it.”

“That happens this time of year; they don’t really meet during the holidays.  They should be up and running in a couple of weeks” Clara said. 

We finished up eating and there was going to be an art class.  

 “I think I’m going to see if my room’s cleaned yet and lay down for a little bit.  I still feel a little weak.”

“Okay hopefully, we’ll see you later” Gladys said.

I went to my room and Jane was still in there.  “I’m sorry I thought you might be done.”

“I was just finishing up, you can come in.”

“How were your holidays dear?”

“They were nice although I think I probably gained five pounds” and we laughed.

“I probably would have too but with the flu I had, I think I probably lost it.”

“I know how you spent New Year’s but how was your Christmas?”

“It was wonderful.  This was the first year we had it at my daughter’s home.  I thought I would miss not having it but I really didn’t.”

“A lot of people would be sad.”

“I was a little sad but it was good to hand the reins over to my daughter. It showed my daughter that she could do it.”

“You have such a positive attitude Annie.”

“I have my down moments but I’m not going to live forever and I’ve got to make the most of my time.”

“Here, here” Jane said.  “I wish I could stay longer but I’ve got other rooms to do.  It was nice talking to you. Bye”

“Bye Jane.”

I sat in my rocker and turned the TV on.  I flipped through the channels and there wasn’t anything interesting to watch so I turned the TV off.  I looked at the door and I saw Maggie coming into my room.

“Hey there girl” and she jumped on my lap.  “I haven’t seen you for quite a while.”  As I petted her I could hear her purring.  She sat on my lap for about a half hour and then jumped up and went out the door. 

“Was that a cat I saw” Sue asked as she came into my room.

“Yep, that cat lives here.”

“How fun” she said laughing. “I’m on a little break.  I found out I’m only going to be training until 2:00 the first couple of weeks.”

“How’s it going?”

“It’s a little overwhelming but by the time the other receptionist leaves I should know everything.  I think I’m going to like it here.”

“I’m so happy for you.”

Sue’s cell phone started to ring and she said “Hello?”

“Hi honey.  It’s going fine.  I’m with mom right now.  She seems to be doing better.  Do you want to talk to her?  Okay, I’ll tell her.  I love you too, bye.  That was Jerry as you could probably tell.  He was going to a meeting but he wanted to check how we were both doing that’s why he didn’t talk to you.  He’s been very worried about you.  I better get back to the desk.  I’ll see you tomorrow."

“Okay by dear.” I had wanted to ask Sue if they made a decision about the house but decided to wait.  I don’t want to pressure them.  If I know my son like I think I do, he’ll realize this will be good for them.

 



No comments: