The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, June 22, 2015

"Free Your Mind"

is a quote from Christian Grey, FSOG as well as the new book Grey from EL James. There will be spoilers so if you intend on reading the book you might not want to read anymore.

If you didn't like the trilogy, you aren't going to like this which shouldn't be a surprise.  Detractor's get a grip.  I know it's fashionable to put down the whole FSOG phenomenon but at least be respectful about the people reading them.  I don't like vampire, horror books and all kinds of other genre but I certainly wouldn't put people down if that's their thing.  Remember, variety is the spice of life ;-)

I thoroughly enjoyed the new book Grey.  Some people are complaining that it was the same book as FSOG.  Well... it is called Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as told by Christian.  Which meant it was going to be the exact same story (same emails, same things happening, etc.) but through Christians POV.  I will admit if you never read a book like this it might make you think you are getting ripped off but having read several of these kinds of books I've come to like reading the other person's view.  You know they always say there are two sides to every story, ha!

It's still not a literary masterpiece (which most novels aren't), however, I thought it was much better written than the first 3 books.

Some reviews I've read from ordinary people that bought the book are complaining that they didn't learn anything new about Christian Grey.  I just don't get it.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I was surprised that when he communicated with Elena (Mrs. Robinson) that he didn't divulge more information about Ana. In FSOG, I was under the impression he pretty much spilled his guts to her, considering he told Ana the only one besides Dr. Flynn that he told things to was Elena. He did mention that he had talked about her to Elena. 

Also, we got a little bit of when Christian was Elena's sub.  Disturbing but insightful nonetheless. 

Learned more through dreams about his biological mother.  She called him "maggot" wow!  WTH?  If that was a term of endearment, I would rather be called nothing.

There was some about Leila when she was Christian's sub.  Interesting.

Also, I think there were times when Leila was in the apartment (which we find out about in book 2) that he senses something but doesn't put 2 and 2 together.

I enjoyed seeing him with his employees.  Much more friendlier to them then he appears in FSOG:  Mrs. Jones, Ros, etc: Taylor too.  I wish though he would have confided more in Taylor.

I loved the therapy session with Dr. Flynn.  Too bad he was out of town and wasn't in the book until the end.

Miss dark, dark eyes (the person that would bring his room service up when he was at the hotel in Portland).  I'm not sure who she is/was.  Just a throwaway character?  Intriguing! 

I could go on and on about this but I'm like "an island state" another FS quote, here.  No one to talk to about this, unless someone reads this and wants to email me and give me your impressions.

I hope very much that EL James writes the other books from Christians POV.







No comments: