The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, January 2, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #10

This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.




10

I was finishing up eating when a woman started wheeling herself into my room.  “Can I help you?” 

“What are you doing in Sally’s room?” 

“Sally?  I don’t know who she is but this is my room.  I came yesterday.  My name is Annie.” 

“My name is” and she reached into her pocket pulling out a little piece of paper and said “Clara.  My name is Clara.” 

“It’s nice to meet you.  I don’t know what happened to Sally.” 

“Clara, what are you doing in here?” Kate said coming into the room. 

“I came to see how Sally was doing.” 

“I’m sorry to say Sally is on another floor now. Let’s leave Annie alone.”

“No, that’s okay.  Clara can stay if she wants to.”

“I’d like that” Clara smiled.  Katie left the room. 

“You know when they say they’ve moved someone to another floor, its code?”

“Code?  Code for what?”

“That means the person died but they don’t want to tell us.”

“Oh.”  I decided to change the subject.  “How long have you been here Clara?” 

“I’m not really sure but probably a couple of years.  I don’t remember a lot of things anymore.”

“I’m having trouble with that myself lately,” Annie said.  “Do you have children Clara?” 

“Yes, I have a son, Johnny.  I fell and broke my hip and I’ve been here ever since. My mind just wouldn’t let me walk anymore that’s why I’m in the wheelchair.  I wanted to live with Johnny but his wife and I don’t get along very well.  So, he left me here.”

“I’m sorry that happened.” 

“Why should you be sorry you didn’t have anything to do with it?   Also there’s that woman.” 

“Woman?”

“Yes, she visits me quite frequently.  She says she’s my daughter and I’ve tried to tell her I don’t have one but she’s very nice to me so I just play along.  She’s been better to me than my own son.  Do you have children?”

“Yes, I have two but I didn’t want to stay with either one of them.  I’m too independent.” 

“Well, at least you had a choice.  My son used all my money for my living expenses.  I can’t believe it.  All those years my husband and I saved and it’s all gone.” 

“Clara we need help with Helen.”  the night nurse,Amelia, said coming into the room. 

“Helen’s my roommate.  She’s not doing well at all.  Maybe I’ll see you tomorrow.  I’m the next room down” as she hurriedly left the room. 

“What’s wrong with her roommate?” 

“Clara is about the only one that can calm Helen down now.  She spends a lot of time when Helen’s awake talking to her and holding her hand.” 

“Oh, can I ask a question about Clara?” 

“Sure.”

“How many children does she have?” 

“She has two but she doesn’t remember her daughter anymore.  Her daughter comes every weekend even though she doesn’t remember her. She lives quite a distance away.  It’s very hard on her but she loves her mom.” 

“That is sad.  She doesn’t seem to care much for her son’s wife.”

“His wife is very nice.  I think she blames her for not being able to live with them when it was more the son’s decision and Clara just can’t handle that so she blames her instead.”

“Couldn’t she have lived with the daughter?” 

“Not really, before Clara even got here she didn’t remember the daughter anymore.”

“I see.” 

“Can I get you anything, Annie?  I’m going to go see how Clara is doing with Helen.” 

“No, I’m fine dear.  Have a good night” and Amelia left. 

I watched some TV and started getting tired.  I put my nightgown on and the hallway lights were starting to dim.  I was ready to get into bed and I could hear someone singing.  I looked out in the hallway and I could hear it was coming from Clara’s room.  I timidly walked out and crept over and peaked into the room.  I could see Clara sitting in her wheelchair next to Helen’s bed.  She was holding Helen’s hand and singing a lullaby to Helen.  I turned and walked back to my room.  


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


    

3 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

I can't read the print. Sry :0(

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I wonder if the nursing staff is really that forthcoming with other patients' personal information. I would have chosen to have the protagonist see the daughter's visit, and show the information instead of tell it.

Ames said...

Oh how sad. Annie is starting to see what she is heading towards with the Alzheimers disease. Sometimes I wonder if my husband is heading down that road. He is very forgetful.Keep the story going Viki. It's an eye opener!Hugs.~Ames