The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, January 16, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #12

This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.


12

When Sheila left, I felt faint and I sat on one of the recliners.  Suddenly I felt like I was trapped like a rat. I felt like I was in a prison.   I couldn’t leave without someone going with me?    

“How ya' doing girlie?” and I looked to see the escape artist right in front of me. 

“I’m doing fine.  I wish I was a girl” and I chuckled. 

“You’re a girlie to me.  I’m 92 years old.” 

“I guess your right then.  I’m only 70.” 

“You come here often?” he said.

“No, this is my first time.” 

“Well, I hope to see you around more” and he left. 

There was a table set up with puzzle pieces on it.  I went and looked at it.   There were also games and a tall bookshelf with many types of books.  It seemed like they had a nice variety. I’ll have to take one back to my room to read.     

I looked out the window again and saw many cars going down the road. I imagined people were out doing their grocery shopping and taking their kids places.

I hoped Jerry had talked to Sue about letting Josh have my car.  It would be an ideal situation for me and them.  Perhaps I will find out tomorrow when Jerry comes. 

I took my coffee over by the computer and got on my email address and I could connect to it.  All of the email I had was mostly spam and jokes.  I deleted it all.  I decided I would email Stella.  She was probably worried to death about me. 


Hi Stella,

Who knew I would have Internet here?   I’m ready for visitors after Sunday.  Anytime you want to come would be fine.  Don’t worry about me, I am really doing fine. 

Don’t email me because I don’t know when I’ll be back on the computer. 

Love,                                                                               Annie

I hit send and off the email went.  She’ll be happy to hear from me. 

I could hear noises behind me and I looked into the day-room and could see people going to the tables.  It was filling up pretty fast. 

I took my coffee and went out to the table where Clara was sitting. 

“Hi” I said.
“Hi, I’m glad you decided to join me.” 

“Is your roommate coming out?”  “No, she can’t.  She’s bedridden now.  We had a really rough night.  Something was wrong but she seems fine now.” 

“It’s so generous of you to take care of her.”  

“Before she got so ill, we were really close.  I promised her to be there if she needed me and I’m keeping my promise.”

“Does she have any family?” 

“No, she had a husband but he died and no children.  Her sister put her here and then she died.  She kind of became my family this last year.”

“Oh that is so heartbreaking.  Does she know you?”

“I think she does.  When no one can calm her down, she seems to respond to me.  I sing to her and sometimes I even read books to her.  When I’m in the room with her, I talk to her all the time but for the last few months she hasn’t talked back.  That doesn’t deter me though, I know she hears me.” 

“I’m sure she does” I reassured her.

“That’s such a lovely necklace you have on.”

“It was my mother’s.  My father bought it for her.  It’s one of my most treasured pieces.”

“Be careful with it.  You see that woman over at the next table?” She whispered.  “She’s a thief.  I’ve had several things missing that they found in her room.”

“Thanks for warning me.  I’ll keep an eye out for her.”

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. 




 

2 comments:

Ames said...

I'm starting feel like those people that are in the nursing home are held captive. It's not your story...it's just me. I have always said I didn't want to be placed in a nursing home and I don't ever want my daughter to have to take care of me. I jokingly say when the time comes I will buy a one way ticket and when I'm at the end of the line I will just crawl in a ditch and die. Lord I hope I have no memory by the time I'm ready for a nursing home.

See ya next week!~Ames

Jenny said...

I watched my sister in a nursing home for a lot of years. I always tell my husband just to smother me.

Is that wrong?