The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, October 12, 2012

Mary #30

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.



30

She took the keys and went into Mary's house.  She went upstairs to the bedroom and walked in.  

The bedroom was as beautiful as the downstairs.  She went into Mary's closet and got some jeans and tops. She found a suitcase on the bottom of the closet and put it on the bed.   She pulled open the drawer and got some other things and packed them all in the suitcase.  She went into the bathroom and got her toiletries and brought everything downstairs. 

She left the house because it felt strange being in Elizabeth's house without her and she didn't want to invade her privacy.

She loaded everything up and headed to the grocery store.  While she was walking around putting things in the grocery cart she ran into Johnny.  

"Hi Johnny.” 

"Well, hello there.  I guess you’re not incognito anymore.”  

"Nope, you’re free to tell anyone I'm back.  Not that anyone would care” and she laughed.

"Sandy would care.  I'm sure she'd like to see you.” 

"I hope it won't cause a problem because you didn't tell.” 

"No, when I explain I'm sure she'll be all right with it.  How's Elizabeth doing?  Jimmy told me about what happened and that she's staying with you.”

"She's doing so-so.  Eventually, she'll be able to go on as best she can.  I had a real good talk with Jimmy today.  I think I've made amends with him.  Do I need to do the same with you?”

"Nah, we're good.  Let me know if you all need something, okay?” 

"Sure, I have to go.  Elizabeth's home by herself and I don't want to leave her too long.  I'll call you, okay?”

They said their goodbyes and Johnny gave her a hug and said "Hang in there" and she picked up a few things and headed to the checkout.

As she was loading her groceries into the car, her phone rang and it was Eli.  

"Hey Mary, I know I was supposed to wait for you to call but I wanted to make sure everything was okay at your house.” 

"Sorry, I didn't get back to you.  Everything's okay.  I'm just leaving the store and then going home to be with Elizabeth.  It's been tough.”

"I can only imagine but you’re a good friend.  I'll talk to you in a few days and maybe we can get together to give you some down time.”

"Sounds great, Eli.  Talk to you then.”

As she drove home, she thought about Eli and what a really thoughtful guy he was.  He seemed to be the kind of guy she had always been looking for her whole life. However, she thought the timing was probably wrong and put it out of her mind.  

She pulled around the back, took the groceries in and put them away.  She wondered why Lulu hadn't come to greet her.  She thought about what she could make for supper and decided to go upstairs and see how Elizabeth was doing. 

When she went into the bedroom, Elizabeth wasn't there.  She wasn't in the bathroom.  Perhaps she was sleeping on the sofa and missed seeing her.  She came down the steps but she was nowhere to be found.  Then Mary noticed the note on the coffee table.  Elizabeth and Lulu had decided to go to the woods. 

It was going to be getting dark soon.  Mary grabbed a sweater and headed through the fields and into the woods.  She went to the little pond but they weren't there.  Mary started to get frightened until she felt Lulu rubbing against her legs.  She followed Lulu to a tree where Elizabeth was sitting looking lost.  Mary came up to her and sat down and they hugged.  Mary noticed on the tree, Elizabeth and Mitch's initials. 

Elizabeth was starting to shiver. 

"It's getting colder and will start getting dark soon, why don't we go back to the house.” 

"Yeah, I'm ready to go back" and as Elizabeth got up she said "Mitch and I came to this tree after we came back from our honeymoon and put those initials there.  I just had to come.  I felt so close to him seeing it". 

They walked through the field and back into the house.  

"What do you want for supper?  I bought a bunch of stuff.  I can cook something up.” 

"I think I'll just go up to bed.” 

"Come on Elizabeth.  You have to eat something.  We haven't eaten since this morning.  I bought some chocolate ice cream.  How about we have some of that and then you can go to bed?”

"Oh, all right.  If you insist" and she laughed.

Mary got the ice cream out of the freezer.  She got big bowls out and filled the bowls to the brim.  Then she got whipped cream and maraschino cherries and put them on top.   

They took their ice cream and sat on the porch watching the sunset.  "I'm going to miss you when you go home Mary.” 

"That's not going to be for a while.  We'll have a lot of time to spend together" and she smiled. 

As they finished up their ice cream Elizabeth said "Mary, I made a decision and I hope you won't be upset but I talked to Donna this afternoon and she's going to take me to the oncologist to talk about my treatment.  I thought she would be best since she went through it and would understand the lingo better than me.  I was so upset when I had the lumpectomy and lymph node surgery and was diagnosed; Mitch understood everything better than me.” 

"No, you’re probably right.  Are you still calling tomorrow?” 

"Yes, I'm going to get up early and call the doctor.  I really love her.  My doctor is a breast cancer survivor and I felt a real connection with her.” 

"I'm sure that's very important.  I would like to go to your treatments when they start, just to keep you company" she said in a worried tone.

"I would love that.  The thing you have to remember Mary is with Stage 4 breast cancer, there will be no cure.  It will be considered a chronic condition but from what the doctor said, there are a lot of treatments out there I can try.  I'm really okay with this Mary and you will have to be too.” 

"I don't like it but I will do my best, Elizabeth.”

"Okay, I think I'm going to go up to bed.  I'll see you in the morning" and she gave Mary a kiss and a hug.

"I hope I don't wake you when I come in".

"Nah ain't going to happen.  I sleep like a log" and she went upstairs. 

Mary sat outside and petted Lulu and thought about her friend.  She had missed so much time with her over the last few years.  Now was her time to make up for it and she wouldn't let Elizabeth down when she needed her the most.  

Mary went in and washed the dishes then turned off all the lights.  She lay on the sofa with grandma's quilt and turned the TV on.  She decided she would sleep there even though Elizabeth said she wouldn't wake up.  She was so exhausted from the day that she couldn't stay awake for the news and fell fast asleep.






No comments: