The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, October 19, 2012

Mary #31

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.

Sorry, I'm late.  Just got back into town.

31



She woke around 8 and Elizabeth was still sleeping.  She fed Lulu and then made the coffee and sat at the kitchen waiting for Elizabeth to get up. 



"I can't believe that it’s 9 already.”  Elizabeth said as she came into the kitchen.  "I must have really needed the sleep.  I feel more rested than I have in a long time.  It must have been that big bowl of ice cream last night" and they laughed.  She sat down at the table and Mary poured her a cup of coffee.

She pulled out her phone and called the doctor's office.   

"Well, that's done.  I have to go in at 2 this afternoon.  I'm going to call Donna" as she dialed the phone.  When she got off she said "Donna's going to come pick me up around 1:30 and we'll head over there.  Let's go outside and have our coffee.  I just love the fall and your Ma’s mums". 

They went outside and sat on the rockers.  They could feel the chill in the air but the sun facing porch warmed them almost immediately.   

"So, what have you been doing since you’ve been back?” 

"Not a whole lot.  It seems like I've been back forever but it really hasn't been that long.  As you can see by the boxes, I've been packing some of Ma and Pa's stuff up.  If you notice how nice the front flower bed looks, thanks to me.” 

"I see and you’ve done such a good job.  Have you seen a lot of people since you've been back?”

"No, I was pretty sad being back with Ma and Pa gone so I really haven't seen anyone.  I did meet Eli when he came over to cut the grass” 

"I don't really know him well but I saw him a few times.   Your Ma and Pa spoke very highly of him.”

"He seems like a really good guy" Mary said.

"Do I detect some interest in him?  That would be good.  It might bring you back home to stay where you belong.”

"Whoa, let's not get crazy here.  I just met him and I don't think he's ready to get involved with anyone.  You know his story, right.” 

"Yeah, your Ma told me but it's been a while since his wife and child have been gone.  I'm just saying don't close the door on the possibility because you don't know.”

"Okay, Miss Matchmaker, I won't.  Let's change the subject.  I told you I've been packing up my parent’s things.  I found these old books that Ma made for each of us kids.  I found out something I never knew. I had a twin sister named Sherry that died at birth.”

"Oh my goodness, did Jimmy or Johnny know?”

"I talked to Johnny about it but he didn't know although he remembers hearing the name one time.  Jimmy I haven't even had a chance to ask him about it.  It's been so strange since I found out about it.  I know I don't really know Eli well but I did mention it to him because of his child dying and he kind of helped me some, to see how my Pa might have been feeling.  Apparently, he got Ma to keep it quiet from me.” 

"So, how do you feel about the whole thing?”

"Well, I really haven't had time to figure the whole thing out.  But like many things in life, what's done is done and there's not anything I can do about it.  Later on, I'll show you the book and her picture.  Ma even saved a little outfit she wore.  I think I'm going to make myself some toast, I'm getting a little hungry.”

"I am too.  How about instead of regular toast, I make some French toast?”

"That sounds delicious to me.  I'm going to go put some clothes on.”  Mary went upstairs.

When she came back down, Elizabeth was putting the French toast on the plates and they sat down and ate. 

"Donna said something about going out to eat after my appointment so we can talk about what the doctor said, so if you want to do something for dinner, go ahead.” 

"Maybe I will.  Remind me to find you a key for the house in case I'm not here when you get back.” 

"I think I might take my bath now" said Elizabeth when they were done eating.

"Go ahead.  There's some great lavender bubble bath.  Just soak and relax for a couple of hours.” 

Elizabeth went upstairs.
 
Mary got her phone and called Eli.  His phone rang until voicemail picked up.  She started to leave a message when she heard “Hello, hello?”

“Hi Eli, were you busy?  I was going to leave you a message.” 

“I was finishing putting the crops on the truck.  What’s up?” 

Elizabeth is going to be gone later today for a while.  I wondered if maybe you’d like to go out for an early supper.” 

“Sure, what time?” 

“She’ll be leaving around 2:30 or so.  How about I come pick you up around 4?” 

“Okay, sounds good.  See you then.  Bye”.

When it was close to lunch, she went into the kitchen and decided to make a salad for her and Elizabeth.  She pulled out the greens and the other vegetables and started putting it all together.  While she was cutting the vegetables, her mind wandered to Eli and what a nice guy he was.  If only he lived in New York she sighed. 

She was startled by a knock at the back door.  Johnny was standing there.  “Hi sissie” he said as she answered the door. 

“You scared me.” 

“I had a few minutes so I thought I would tell Elizabeth how sorry I was about Mitch.”

“She’s taking a bath.  She has an oncologist appointment later that Donna is taking her to.  Would you like something to drink?”

“No, I’m not really staying.  I forgot to tell you I read the book you gave me from Ma.  No mention of Sherry in my book.  It was old pictures and stories from when we were kids.  That was about it.  Did you talk to Jimmy about it yet?” 

“No, I haven’t gotten around to it with everything that’s happened.  When things settle down, I’ll give him his book.  If you want you can mention it to Jimmy that’s okay.” 

“Maybe I will if I see him.” 

Just then Elizabeth came into the room.  “I thought I heard a familiar voice down here.” 

Johnny went to Elizabeth and gave her a hug.   

“How are you doing?  I was so sorry to hear about Mitch.  He was such a great guy.” 

“I think I’m still in shock.  It’s so hard for me to believe he’s gone.  It was such a senseless accident.  I don’t know what I’m going to do without Mitch.” 

“You will just lean on your friends. You know if you ever need anything you can count on me” Johnny said.

“I know and thanks.  I’ve always felt a part of the Jenkins family growing up and you all have really helped more than you all know during this difficult time”. 

“Now that I know you two are doing okay I better high tail it home.  Now that Sandy and I are together again we don’t like to be separated.” 

“I’m happy for you Johnny.  You go and be with her.  You just never know in life what’s going to happen.  Thanks for caring about how I’m doing.” 

Johnny went and gave Elizabeth and Mary a hug then said goodbye and left. 




No comments: