The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 5, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #27

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



27



A group of kids who looked like they were in kindergarten walked in and when they saw us dressed up they started giggling.  One little boy shouted “Hey, they have costumes too!”

As each child would come up to us they smiled and said trick or treat and they would guess what we were.  They would hold out their bag and we put candy in it.   Some of them got a real kick out of the fact that we had the same costumes as them and gave us hugs. 

It was wonderful but ended all too quick.  We all decided to keep our costumes on until after lunch.  We all sat around and chatted about how much fun we had.

“Well, now that Halloween’s done before you know it will be Thanksgiving and then Christmas” Audrey said. 

“Yes, in about a week they will start putting up the Christmas trees” Gladys said.

“They will?  Isn’t it kind of early for that?”

“Annie, they will put up the trees and put the lights on them.  They don’t decorate them until Thanksgiving weekend.  I don’t know exactly how many trees they put up but I know they are in each day-room and family room plus who knows where else” Clara told me.

“I could see that that would take a lot of time to do.  Do they let the residents help?”

“I’ve never seen them helping but I suppose we could ask.  Maybe we should talk to the club ladies about it?”

“Again with the club ladies Nancy, forget about the club ladies.  We can ask questions on our own you know?”

“All righty then, you really still hold a grudge against them don’t you” Nancy said.

“I guess you could say that.  Here come our trays let’s eat” and we all sat quietly and ate our food.  I wondered why Clara seemed to have such resentment for the club ladies.

When we were done we all went back to our rooms to get out of our costumes.  I went to the bathroom and took off my head scarf and some of the heavy make-up I had put on.  I took off most of the necklaces off but kept one on.  I decided to keep my clothes on since without the scarf it looked like a normal outfit. 

I decided to knit a little and picked it up and sat on the rocker.  I could hear no more creaking as I rocked while I knitted.  I should have had someone fix it a long time ago.  I thought about what a fun morning we had and wished for a moment that I was at home so I could be handing out candy tonight.  It would be the first time since we bought the house that no one would be giving candy from there.  I bet the children in the neighborhood would wonder where I was. 

The phone started to ring and I dropped my knitting and picked it up “Hello?”

“Hi mom, it’s me.”

“Hi Julie, how are you?”

“I’m calling with some bad news.”

“Stella” I asked.

“Yes, she had a stroke last night.  They are still assessing her but right now she has slurred speech and she can move her legs but her one arm seems to be paralyzed.”

“Oh no, I want to see her now.”

“I knew you would mom but why don’t you wait until she gets a little better.”

“Okay, if you think that’s best.  Would you tell her I love her and I’ll see her soon?”

“You know I will mom.  I’ve got to go, I’m at the hospital and I have to speak to one of my patients parents.  I love you mom. Bye”

“Bye Julie.”

I put down the phone and started to cry.  Just then Clara came in the room “Annie did something happen?”

“Yes, my friend Stella was in the hospital with pneumonia and I just found out she had a stroke.  I’m very worried about her.”

“Oh there, there we’ll keep her in our prayers.  We’ll hope for the best.” Clara said as she patted me on the shoulder.  “Do you want to talk or would you rather be alone?”

“I think I’m going to get under the covers for a while.  I feel so cold.  Could you tell Kate I won’t be having supper today?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Okay, see you later.”




 

No comments: