The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 26, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #30

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



30

Julie, Sue and I went to the family room and watched the children play their games.  The next thing I knew Julie was touching me and saying “Mom we’ve got to go pretty soon.”

“What?  I must have dozed off.”

“Its 7:00 and I have to get you back by 8:00.  Do you want some dessert?  We already ate ours.”

“No, I’m still full.  We can go whenever you’re ready.”

“I’ll have Sue pack up the dessert and then we can go.”

I got up and went to the bathroom and when I got back Julie was standing there with a whole bag full of different desserts.

“Oh the night staff will love me when I give them this I said” and I laughed.

I kissed everyone goodbye and Julie and I headed off.

When we got to my place, Julie helped me carry the stuff in.  I kissed Julie goodbye and I took the bag into the day-room where I saw the ladies sitting around.

“Anyone hungry, I’ve got a lot of desserts in here?”

“Sure” they all said.

“I’ll ask the nurse for some plates and silverware” and Nancy headed off.

I took all the desserts out and put them on the table.

“Everything looks so good” Gladys said.

“I think I’ll have a piece of that pie” Nancy said as she returned.

We all took what we wanted and I took the rest where the nurses and aides were congregated.  They were so pleased and said it would all be gone shortly. 

“How did it go at your families” Clara asked.

“It was great although I fell asleep.  The best thing happened though I went to see Stella and she’s doing pretty well considering what she’s been through.”

“Is that the friend Clara told us about that had the stroke” Audrey asked.

“Don’t think I’m telling tales out of school Annie but everyone wondered what was up with you the last couple of weeks.”

“That’s fine Clara.  I didn’t tell you that it was a secret.  But yes Audrey, that’s the friend.”

“I’m so happy” Gladys chimed in.

“We were so worried about you Annie.  I hope that means we’ll be seeing you in the day-room more.  We’ve missed you” Mildred said.

“Yes ladies, I promise.”

“I hate to be a party pooper but I think I’m going to go to bed” as Gladys called for an aide to take her to her room.

“I’m going to go too just as soon as I clean up here” and everyone left for their rooms.

The nurses and the aides thanked me again for the desserts and I went to my room.  When I was walking in I head my phone ringing and picked it up “Hello?”

“Mom, you left an afghan in my car.”

“Oh darn it.  I knitted it for Stella and forgot to take it in.”

“I’ll be at the hospital tomorrow seeing a patient would you like me to take it to her?”

“That would be great, honey.  I forgot to mention, could you go to my house and find my Christmas Village and bring it here?”

“All of it?”

“No, it’s too much.  Bring me the church and maybe about 10 of the stores, houses you know what I really like.”

“Do you want the batting for the snow?”

“Yes”

“Okay, is there anything else?”

“If I think of something I’ll call.  Thanks for taking me to Jerry’s today.  I had a wonderful time.”

“No problem mom.  I’ll see you soon.  Good night, I love you.”

“I love you too, good night.”

I put on my nightclothes and laid in bed thinking about the wonderful day I had.  I was so happy Stella sounded and looked so good.  I felt like a weight had been lifted off me.  I thought about my Christmas Village, I knew right where I was going to put it.  I couldn’t wait until Julie brought it.  I wondered if the other ladies decorated their rooms and I started to fall asleep. 
  


No comments: