The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 19, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #29

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



29



It was hard getting up the next morning.  I had stayed up a little later then I wanted but I finished the afghan and I was thrilled with the way it turned out.  As I laid there trying to wake up I thought about how I could put her name on it.  I didn’t want it to get lost when she went to rehab.  I remembered seeing a little bit of white fabric in the chest and decided I would make a label and sew it on.



I got up, opened the chest, found the material and set upon making the label and then sewing it onto the afghan.

“That’s a beautiful afghan Annie” Cheryl said as she came in with my breakfast.

“Thanks, how come you’re working today.  No holiday plans?”

“When your low girl on the totem pole those are the breaks” and she laughed. 

“I hope you’ll be able to get some turkey today.”

“Yes, I will.  A restaurant comes in on Thanksgiving and provides stuff for the staff.”

“That’s nice.”

“Have a good Thanksgiving with your family Annie” and she left.

I quickly ate breakfast and then jumped in the shower.  I was thrilled to be able to go see Stella today.  I would have to steady myself though because she might be different from the Stella I know. 

I decided to wear a pair of brown pants and a lovely light orange shell and cardigan that Stella had bought me.  I put on my pearl earrings and necklace. 

I took the afghan, the pie and wrote my phone number on a little piece of paper.  I walked to the family room to wait for Julie.  I read the newspaper until I saw Julie and she noticed me and came in. 

“You look beautiful mom.”

“Why thank you honey.  I’m already.”

We were leaving and Clara was sitting at a table and said “Bye Annie have a good time.”

“Thanks Clara, we’ll talk when I get back” and Kate opened the door and let us out.

Julie’s car was parked right by the door and we got in and drove straight to the hospital. 

I was nervous going into Stella’s room but as soon as she saw me she waved me over and we hugged.  Julie didn’t come in the room.

“How are you Stella?”

“I’m doing better” she said in a somewhat slurred voice but she sounded pretty good. 

“I’ve been so worried about you.”

“I hope you’re not mad at me because I didn’t want to see you.  It’s been such a hard adjustment.”

“If you aren’t mad at me for not talking to you since I moved out of my house, I won’t be mad at you for not wanting to see me since you’ve been in the hospital.”

“Oh what a pair we are.  You would think after all these years we would know better” and we both laughed.  “I’ve really missed you” she said.

“You sound good.  How’s the arm doing?”

“It’s getting better slowly but surely.  I still haven’t made enough progress so I’ll have to go to rehab. Darn.”

“It won’t be so bad, trust me.  I really like the place I’m at.”

“You go on now and have Thanksgiving with your family.  I told Julie I wouldn’t keep you long.”

“Okay, I wrote my phone number down.  When you can give me a call and we can talk.” I hugged her and said “I love you” and I left.

Julie and I drove to Jerry’s house.  When we got there everyone crowded around and I got a lot of hugs and kisses. 

Shortly thereafter, it was time to eat.  I didn’t say much I just enjoyed listening to my whole family talking and joking around.   

When we were done, Jerry and Ralph went and watched football in the family room, while the kids followed and played board games on the floor. 

Julie helped Sue clean up the table.  I just sat and watched when Sue asked “Mom, is this an apple cake” and she put it on the table. 

“Yes honey, we went to the apple orchards yesterday.  I had a piece and it was so delicious I couldn’t resist buying it.”

“Once the food settles we’ll devour it I’m sure.  Naturally, I have too much pastry.  Do you think you would want to take some back with you for the people at the home.”

“That would be great.” 

“Here are the plates and the silverware for dessert later” Julie said putting them on the table.




 

No comments: