The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, December 6, 2010

Live in the moment

The day of the outing to the apple orchard came for Mom in November.  I called in the afternoon to make sure it went okay and found out everyone was waiting by the door and the bus broke down so it was canceled. Ugh.

The next day I went to see her and she was gone.  They took her on another outing to a Church that was having entertainment and a Thanksgiving Dinner.  There were supposed to be like 300 people there from different nursing homes. I knew she would enjoy something like that.

The following day when we went, I was so excited to hear about her adventure.  I was surprised that all she remembered doing was  being on the bus.  They were gone from around 11 to 4.  I asked all kinds of trick questions to see if I could get her to remember getting off the bus but no, she insisted they never got off the bus.  She even got a little favor but didn't know where she got it from.  She did say she had a good time though. 

A few days later, I spoke to one of the activities people and told her that Mom didn't remember getting off the bus.  She said the girl that went with them said Mom had a very good time.  She ate all her dinner and enjoyed the entertainment.  I thought maybe because I didn't prep her about this, that is why she didn't remember.

They rescheduled going to the apple orchard.  When I saw Mom on the day after, again she remembered being on the bus but not getting off the bus at all.  She had told me before she went that she wanted to buy maple candy but didn't. I guess even though we had talked about the orchard so much it didn't make a difference in her remembering that she went.

I'm kinda disappointed that she doesn't remember but I told hippie Mom just lives in the moment now.  I guess that's what's important, even if she doesn't remember.

3 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

awwwwwwwwww sweet, but sad.
God love her.
(((hugs)))

Cheryl said...

I can't begin to understand what it takes to accept the long good-bye. That you keep trying to find ways to help is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Yes, living in the moment is what we have. You do get use to it. When I would see my grandma at the rest home. It was a good day walking the halls hand in hand, seeing her smile or even helping her to eat her lunch. As hard as the days can become you'll be glad you had them. Funny how such simple things in life will bring you joy.-mike