The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday Centus #32

It's Saturday Centus again - in a nutshell, Jenny Matlock gives us a prompt from either herself or a guest submitter and then we have to write 100 or words less related to the prompt (the prompt doesn't count toward the 100 words)  Then link it up to her blog.  It's open until the following Saturday, so that means you have all week to participate by either reading or writing.  http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/search/label/Saturday%20Centus

Very difficult this week, ha.

Prompt is in bold. 

An involuntary gasp of shock escaped my lips when I opened the shoebox and saw the pointy-toed shoes. 

Who would donate these to a homeless shelter I thought, as I put them on the shelf. 

A regular came into the room.  “Can I look around”? 

“Sure Velma”.

“Oh my”, she said.  “I had a pair of shoes like these when I was younger.  They hurt like the dickens but my legs looked fabulous” and we laughed. 

As she looked around some more, I wondered what her story was and how a woman in her 70’s was homeless.

I’d have to get to know her better; there must be some way to get her into an apartment.  

17 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sweet take on this prompt, Vike.

Bookie said...

Ah, the memory of old shoes.....

Susan Anderson said...

I loved this, Viki. So real it resonates.

=)

jfb57 said...

Shoes leading to happiness eh! Great!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I wonder, do men choose beauty over comfort, or is that just a female thing?

And I'd want to know how she ended up homeless, too!

Teresa said...

I love where you took this one. It really comes across as a real story from your life.

faith said...

I agree with June! Sad yet hopeful piece.

Anonymous said...

Yes, please, tell us more about Velma.

Ames said...

Love this Viki! There is always a story behind everyone. We need to take the time to hear it. Loved your take on this prompt!~Ames

RockiBottom said...

love where you took this. so very real

Judie said...

What a sweet and thoughtful post!! Thanks!!

Rek Sesh said...

very different take and realistic....wonder how she ended up there?...

Jo said...

your heart is in this story Viki, i can see it shining through your words...

cj Schlottman said...

I feel your generous spirit in this post, and it warms my heart. As we say in The South, it made me feel good in my feelings.

Homeless at 70 is just about the saddest thing I can think of. I see her in an apartment - soon.

Namaste..........cj

Tgoette said...

Wonderful story, Viki! What an interesting take on the prompt!

Jenny said...

Viki, I think the homeless epidemic is hitting older demographics now...and it is so tragic.

Thanks for using this link for a wonderful lesson on compassion.

We all need to help wherever and whenever we can.

Thank you for linking.

Unknown said...

Dear Viki,

Thank you for your kind words on my SC-post. For different reasons, I am late with my comments on other's posts. So I'll try to catch up here:

When it comes to your SC-text, the prompt is so seamlessly woven into this bitter-sweet story that it asks intersting questions. It is touching, filled with warmth, and brings tears to my eyes.

Maybe you should try to write more to it and make a short story out of this SC-text?

I really like it.
Very well done!

Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC wk 32