The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 7, 2011

Mrs. Dunkin #2

This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.


Chapter 2


     “Annie, Annie?” I thought I must be dreaming when I looked at the clock and it was 6 A.M.  “Annie?” “Yes?”  “Hi my name’s Kate,” walking in the room all chipper.  “I’m the day shift nurse.  Amelia left on your chart that you wanted to be called, Annie.  I brought your pills in for you to take.  Also, if you want to eat in the day-room, breakfast will come at 8 A.M”, she said handing Annie a little container with her pills.  “You start things kind of early here.”  “Yes, we do.  You can let us know what time you want to get up or if you want you can bring an alarm and get yourself up.  I know it’s going to be your first full day here so if you’d like to eat breakfast in your room you can do that too.”  “I think I would feel more comfortable doing that.  It’s going to take me a while to adjust to being here.”  “No problem.”  “It’s nice meeting you, Annie.  If I don’t see you out and about, I’ll bring your afternoon pills to your room.  If there’s anything you need just buzz.  See you later.”  “It was so nice to meet you dear.”

     I may as well get up now as long as I’m awake.  I got up and got my underthings out of the dresser.  Thank goodness, they will be bringing my dresser.  I can barely fit my stuff in this one.  I got a lavender flowered blouse and black pants out of the closets.  There were towels and washcloths in the bathroom already.  I started taking a shower and made a mental note to tell Julie to buy me some different soap.  When I got done, I put my clothes on and went to the room blew dry my hair and put a clasp in it.  That’s done.

     So, she said breakfast was at 8 A.M. in the day-room.  I wonder what time they’ll bring it to my room.  This isn’t so bad so far, it’s like staying in a hotel and getting room service; except for being woken up at 6 a.m.    I decided I’d open the blinds to see what kind of view I had.  I could see the woods and a few deer in the distance.  This should be nice especially this time of year.  With mating season, they probably have a lot of deer around here. 

     I looked in my purse for a pen and some paper.  I should make a running list of things I need like the soap.  You see, I’ve become an expert at making lists.  If I don’t write it down, I don’t remember it.  I know what you’re thinking; it’s the Alzheimer’s.  Don’t be so sure of that.  My lifelong friend or how I hear people say it now my BFF, Stella says she forgets things all the time and has to write them down.  Although I don’t think she’s ever driven somewhere and forgotten how to get home.  How humiliating it was when I had to call Julie and tell her I was lost.  That’s when all the doctor’s appointments began and finally the diagnosis I feared the most was confirmed.  That’s when they told me I shouldn’t drive anymore.  I should have someone put my medications in containers so I wouldn’t mess them up.  The doctor suggested before I got too bad I should think about getting my affairs in order and either hire a private nurse or move in with one of the children.   All I could think of was that old saying “whoa nelly” as my son and daughter argued about who would take me in.  That really sealed the deal for me on coming here.  I knew even though they loved me neither one could handle it.  Someday I wouldn’t recognize them and I didn’t want to be living in one of their homes when that day came. I didn’t want to see the dismay and frustration on their faces when I couldn’t do the littlest thing or remember something. It was bad enough they would see that when they came here but 24/7?  No, I was sure that this was the best decision for everyone but mostly for me. 


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.  



4 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Aging and declining is a scary prospect, I think about it more and more as I reach middle age. I hope I have a nice view from my window in the old folks' home.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This is a scary story, Viki. If folks don't have a loved one to take them in or the money to move to assisted living.....what then? I worry about people who fall through the cracks.

Jenny said...

I'm enjoying the narrative here. I'm feeling bad already that's she is going to have such a wake-up call.

Sad.

And moving.

Ames said...

Gosh Viki, I feel like I have the beginning of Alzheimers. I have to make notes, forget the simplest things. Well I hope not. Anyway I am enjoying the story. Moving on the part 3.~Ames