The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 14, 2011

Mrs. Dunkin # 3



This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.
 


 3


     My breakfast came about 8:15, a nice girl brought it in all cheery-like.  She was a tall girl, thin and looked to be in about her 20’s. She said her name was Cheryl. They must have a rule here, all employees must be cheery.  She put the tray on a small table and then left.  I sat down and surveyed the food.  Eggs, bacon, toast, and small glasses of juice, water, milk and coffee and it all tasted pretty good.   

     After I was done eating, I realized Julie and Jerry would be here in about 30 minutes and I thought about where I would put the things they were bringing.  I had everything all ready for them.  All they had to do was load it up in Jerry’s truck.  It should only take them one trip.  I thought about going out and looking around the facility a bit but I wasn’t ready for that. 

     While I’m waiting for them I’ll tell you a little about them.  Jerry is my first born, 40 years old.  He’s been married to his wife, Sue, for 20 years.  He has two children.  Joshua is 17 and Amy is 15.  Like I mentioned he’s a financial planner and is very good at what he does.  Since Hank died, he’s helped me a lot around my house.  We had issues with him when he was growing up but we don’t need to get into that now, there will be time later I’m sure.  He’s the spitting image of his father.  Tall, handsome, a good build, and black wavy hair. 

     My daughter, Julie, 36 years old is married to Ralph for 16 years.  They have two children; fraternal twins.  Wait for this… Their names are Jack and Jill.  They thought it would be cute.  I remember at the time thinking how much they would be teased because of it.  Now that they are 13, I can only imagine.  Julie’s a Pediatrician.  Her husband’s a surgeon.  I wonder how they do everything they do with the kids and their jobs but they somehow manage things.  She favors me.  She has hazel eyes, thin and auburn hair although my hair’s long turned gray.   I don’t mean to brag but I was quite the stunner back in the day. 

     “Hi Mom.”  “Hi Julie.”  “Jerry and Josh have the truck in front.  They are seeing if they can get something to put your stuff on so it’s easier to bring in.  How was your first night?”  “It was wonderful.  Everyone’s so nice here and my breakfast was just so yummy.  It will be so nice not to have to worry about cooking or doing dishes.”  “Really mom? I always thought you loved to cook.”  “Sure I did when you kids lived at home and your father was alive.  It’s not so fun when you have to cook only for yourself.”

     “Oh by the way, Stella called me last night.” “And..?”  “I did just what you told me.  I said you didn’t have a phone yet and when you got one you would call her and tell her when she could visit.”  “Thank you Julie, you know how Stella can be.  I love her like a sister but sometimes we don’t see eye to eye and this happens to be one of those times.”  “She’s just worried about your decision just like we are.”  “Let’s not go there again.”  “Okay, I’m going to see how Jerry and Josh are doing.  Do you want to come with me?” “No, I think I’ll start emptying these drawers and put the stuff on the bed so they can move this small dresser out before they bring in mine. You go dear,” and Julie left the room.  

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.



    

2 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Very nice, but I wouldn't add the paragraph where you describe the kids. Let that information come out in the interactions and dialogue. It's better to "show" and not "tell".

Jenny said...

You know what. I agree with Julie on her comment!

I like the brief introduction but leave me wanting more.