The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, November 21, 2011

Mrs. Dunkin #4


This is an ongoing story I've decided to write and put on my blog every Monday.   Please excuse the errors, I'm only doing limited editing.  Constructive criticism welcome.  I wish I had a cute button on the side where the story could go but I don't know how to make a button.  Even if I did I wouldn't know how to link up the story LOL.   So if you miss a chapter, you'll have to look at my sidebar for it.  The first chapter was written on October 23, 2011 so that should at least be some help, ha.


Chapter 4

     “Mrs. Dunkin, my name’s Jim.  I’m from maintenance.  We got your son all set with a cart and your daughter mentioned that you needed some things taken out of here.  So, that’s what Paul and I are here to do.”  “Well, thank you.  I’m almost done with this dresser and then you can take it.” 

      They were about done when Jerry and Josh arrived at the door.    “Hello, Mom.” “Hi grandma.”  “Hello, you two.  Where’s Julie?”  “She packed the breakables in her car and she’s getting them.”  “I hope I have enough room for everything.”  “You’ll be fine, Mrs. Dunkin.  You have one of the bigger rooms here.  Do you need some help bringing the stuff in?”  “No, Josh and I can handle it.  Thanks for asking though.”  “Okay, we’ll probably see you around Mrs. Dunkin,” and they left. “They seem very nice, don’t you think Jerry?”  “Yeah, I guess mom.  Come on Josh, let’s start getting grandma’s things in.” 

     First came in my beautiful mahogany dresser and nightstand. I remember when Hank and I bought it.  We got money from our parents and it was the first things we bought as a married couple.  Next came in the mahogany hope chest.  My parents bought it for me when I was 10 years old.  Every year at Christmas, my mother would buy me something to put in it.  By the time I got married, I had a lot of stuff.  Then the most important piece of furniture I ever owned the mahogany rocker.  “Are you sure you want this rocker?  It is rather old and it’s not in that great of shape.”  “Yes, I most certainly do.  Your dad bought it for me when I was pregnant with you Jerry.  I rocked you, your sister and all of my grandchildren in that for hours on end.  I could never get rid of that.” “Okay, I was just asking” and he put it in the corner.   The last thing they brought in was the beautiful mirror for the top of the dresser.   I closed my eyes and remembered how many times I would be standing in front of it brushing my hair and Hank would come behind me and encircle me with his embrace.  I missed him so much even more now than when he first died. 

     “Mom, mom, are you okay?”  “I’m fine Jerry, I was just remembering something.”  “Okay, I’ll get this mirror on for you,” and he went about attaching it.  “Do you think you’re going to like it here grandma? I remember coming here that one year when I was in the choir; it gave me the creeps.” “Josh,” Jerry yelled.   I chuckled.  “Jerry, leave the kid alone.  Josh hopefully now that I’m here, it won’t seem so creepy.  I would hate to think you wouldn’t visit me.”  “No, I’ll visit you grandma. I promise. In fact, since I just got my driver’s license you might see me more than ever.You might even get sick of seeing me so much. That’s if dad ever lets me use the car.  .”  “Oh, I don’t think I’d ever get sick of seeing my favorite grandchild.”  “You’re not fooling me.  I hear you say that to all the grand kids, grandma.”  “I guess you got me there” and he gave me a big hug.  “If your dad thinks it’s all right, you can have my car.  I won’t be using it anymore.  It’s not a sports car but for a first car I don’t think it’s too bad.”  “Are you kidding me grandma?  I would love it.  What do you think dad?”  “I’ll have to talk to your mother but I’m sure we could work something out, although there would still have to be rules.”  “I know.  I’ll do whatever you and mom wants me to do.  It would be so great to not have mom drive me to school.  I could even go to the store and do all kinds of errands.”  “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’ll talk to mom.”  “Okay, cool dad.” 

    “What do you think happened to Julie?”  “You know her Mom.   She’ll talk to anyone.  Son, go and find your aunt.”  “Okay, I’ll take the cart with me in case she needs it” and Josh walked out the door.  
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

3 comments:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

You've captured the dynamic between the characters perfectly, Viki. I can 'hear' the exchanges between the mother and son and the grandmother and grandson as if they were standing in the same room with me.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Viki!

Jenny said...

I like the conversational tone of this. If I read it out loud it sounds perfect!

Ames said...

I hope things don't start disappering from her room. That would be the pits. Sorry, getting ahead of the story. But I can't help but think about the two brief times my parents were in and out of a nursing home. We had to write their names in theirs clothes because they started delivering other peoples laundry to their rooms. Off to read installment 4.~Ames