The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturday Centus #82

It's Saturday Centus again - in a nutshell, Jenny Matlock gives us a prompt from either herself or a guest submitter and then we have to write 100 words or  less related to the prompt (the prompt doesn't count toward the 100 words) Then link it up to her blog. It's open until the following Saturday, so that means you have all week to participate by either reading or writing.  The prompt is in blue.
"Would you like fries with that?"
“Sure, why not.”
I looked around the tiny diner with all its Christmas decorations.
 “I’m surprised you’re opened.”
“Yeah, we’re always open on Christmas. Where you headed?” she asked.
“Nowhere really, I had some vacation time.  I just got in the car and headed west.”
“No family?”
“Let’s just say if you looked in the dictionary under dysfunctional you would see my family.”
“Why do you think I work every Christmas? I’ll get your order and then we can trade stories.”
Maybe this won’t be such a bad Christmas after all they both thought. 

11 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I really liked this one. It's sad when people are not blessed with loving families, but this is a good reminder of the possibilities for finding strength and comfort elsewhere.

Nice!

=)

Judie said...

I agree with Sue on this. Unfortunately, disfunctional families seem to outnumber the loving ones these days.

Christine said...

by Christmas day I just want to be alone, too many functions and concerts to run around to, dysfunctional families isn't the only thing that gets me down by the 25th

Rekha said...

Sad and yet hopeful, well written piece. Maybe for once, the dysfunctional families could mean forging new bonds.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I can relate to this post and really appreciate it, especially the change in tone from dismal to optimistic.
xoRobyn

cj Schlottman said...

Well said! It dovetails beautifully with one of my favorite quotes:

"If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time." ..........Edith Wharton

We invest way too much of our precious emotional energy into having "Happy Holidays." I'm thinking about taking my dogs to a nearby state park and give myself a private writer's retreat.

Namaste.........cj

Ames said...

I've got a sister that would rather find comfort at the slot machines. I guess life is what you make it!~Ames

anitamombanita said...

I've had a few Christmas holidays like this. Nicely done.

21 Wits said...

Oh the joys of running into new friends....!

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Sorry. For what it's worth...I think many of us could cry a river. Not that all of us have the same stories, but like I tell my kids....we as well as others are not The Brady Bunch. :0(
(((hugs)))Pat

Jenny said...

What is that quote? Let's put the 'FUN' back in disfunctional?!?!

I've been saying that for years!

And I think we all have some degree of this...

Even if we do say otherwise in our Suzy Sunshined Christmas letters!

Neat take on the prompt.

Poignant and touching!