The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, December 7, 2012

Mary #38

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.




38

It was getting chilly in the house so she shut the front door and lit a fire.   She picked up her knitting and realized she was half way through with the hat.

Suddenly, Lulu ran to the front door and then she heard a knock.  She got up and opened the door and it was Eli. 

“Hi, I thought I could cut the grass if it won’t be disturbing you and Elizabeth.”

“Elizabeth’s staying at her house tonight and I don’t mind if you cut it.”

“Great, I think I should be able to get it done before dark” and he turned around and headed for the barn. 

For the next couple of hours while she knitted she could hear him cutting the grass.  She thought about the B&B idea more and more.  She just didn’t know if she could make a living at doing it.  She would have to crunch some numbers and see.  She really liked Elizabeth’s idea of giving knitting and quilting lessons.  Her Ma at one time did quilting bees in the attic.  She could clean that part up and she could start having quilting bees again.  I’m sure there are still older women that would love it and we could sprinkle new people in, so they could learn the joy of quilting.

Mary heard a knock on the door.  

“Hey Eli, all done?”

“Yep, they said it might rain the next couple of days so I thought it best to get it done.” 

“Care for a drink?”

“Sure.”

“What would you like?”

“Water would be fine” and Mary went to the kitchen.

She handed him the glass.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“How’s Elizabeth doing?”

“Tomorrow I’m taking her for her first treatment so we’ll see after that.  Hey can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Do you know anyone that would be interested in renting Pa’s land to grow crops?”

“You mean besides me?  I was thinking when you put the place up for sale I would see if I could afford the place but I would consider renting it.  What are you going to do with the house?”


“I can’t really say right now but I’m thinking about something.  I would first have to talk to my brothers and see what they thought of it before I could mention it to anyone else.”

“Oh okay, but if you decide to rent it let me know.”

“Sure.”

“I got some bad news today.  The hotel I work for is in bankruptcy.  As of now I’m unemployed.”

“Wow that must have been a shock.  What happened?”

“To tell you the truth, I have no idea.  When I left I knew business was down a little because of the economy but I didn’t realize it was that bad.  My friend, Sadie, called and told me they were putting her on lay off and about the bankruptcy.  I called my boss today and he confirmed it.  I’m technically unemployed waiting for them to send me papers I have to sign and fax back.”

“I’m so sorry Mary.  What are you going to do now?”

“I’m not quite sure.  I’m trying to figure it out.  As people say I’m weighing my options.”

“Good luck with that.  I better head out.  I have a few things to do around the farm before dark” and he got up and started walking to the door.

Mary followed him out onto the porch with Lulu following closely behind.   

He turned saying “Call me when things settle down with Elizabeth and maybe we can get together.”

“That would be wonderful” Mary said as they stared into each others eyes.”

Eli quickly gave Mary a kiss on the lips and left.  Mary was stunned as she sat down on the porch putting her hand to her lips.  

“Lulu I sure never expected that but I have to say I enjoyed it.”

She went in the house and went upstairs.  She decided she would take a bath tonight so she would be ready for the morning.  She took all her stuff in the bathroom and got in the tub.  Lulu took the usual position next to the tub.

“Lulu can I tell you a secret” and Lulu looked up at her.  “I think I’m starting to like Eli a lot.  If I’m not mistaken, I think that little kiss was his way of saying the same thing.  Is that crazy? I’m not sure though with everything that’s happening; I should even be thinking of starting a relationship.  I guess I’ll just see where it goes.”  

When Mary was done bathing, she put on her nightclothes and went back downstairs and turned on the TV.  She put more logs on the fire and then went to the couch and finished up her first hat for Elizabeth.  She put it in the coffee table.  She set the alarm on her cell phone so she would be sure to wake up early and then she cozied up with Lulu.

No comments: