The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, December 24, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #34

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  



34



I told my children I would be staying at the nursing home Christmas Eve.   The ladies had become like family to me and I wanted to spend it with them.



I had bought each of them a Christmas planter and they were thrilled.  We sang songs, watched Christmas movies and played games all day.  Santa had come and gave each of us each a calendar for the new year. 

Right before bed all the ladies went into the family room.  We turned the lights on and looked at the Christmas tree we had decorated.  We didn’t mean to brag but we thought we did a pretty good job. 

Suddenly, Nancy said “It’s snowing and big flakes too.”

We hadn’t had snow all week and we wondered if there would be a white Christmas.  We were excited as kids looking out the window with glee.  Then Audrey started singing Silent Night and we all joined in. 

The next morning I was up bright and early.  Jerry was going to come get me around noon so I got up and took my shower and got dressed.  I wore black pants, a crisp white shirt and I put on a red sweater.  I put on my pearls.  I looked out my window and we had gotten a lot of snow.  I took out my winter coat and put it on the chair.  I also got out my boots.  I took a pair of slipper socks and put them in my coat pocket so I could wear them at Julie’s house.

I was going down to breakfast when I saw Cheryl bringing my tray.

“Merry Christmas, I thought you might be eating in your room.”

“Merry Christmas, no I’m coming.  Drew the low straw again?” and I laughed.

Cheryl walked down with me and set my tray down where the other ladies were eating.

“Merry Christmas” everyone said to me.

“Merry Christmas to all of you too.”

Breakfast went by pretty fast and then I went to my room and waited for Jerry. 

12:00 on the nose he was standing at my door.  “Are you ready to go mom?”

“Yes, I’m ready.  There’s a lot of snow out there, huh?”

“Yes there is.”

We got out to the car and the whole family was there.  Sue had moved to the back seat and everyone greeted me with Merry Christmas.  There was singing along to Christmas carols on the radio while we drove to Julie’s house.

When we got there we all went into their family room.   Julie was in the kitchen so Sue and I joined her helping her finish up the meal and then we all sat down to eat.

She had made a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, asparagus and salad.  We all ate and ate until we were so stuffed we could barely move.  Sue and Julie cleaned up when we were done and they put desserts on the table.  We all sat around the family room talking about past Christmas’.  There were a few tears from me when the kids remembered times their father was trying to put some of their toys together and had a hard time. 

Jerry said “Julie, remember dad would always take us to the drugstore to buy mom’s gifts.” 

“Yeah, always a lot of great gifts at the drugstore” and she laughed.

“Hey, it didn’t matter where they came from.  I loved them because you got them for me.  Remember it’s not the gift that counts” and I smiled.

“Sure mom” Jerry said.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you about my house” I asked and thought this is it.

Julie said “To tell you the truth mom, we haven’t done much with it.  Everyone’s been too busy.”

“This might sound crazy but what do you think about renting it out?”

“Renting it, why” Jerry asked.

“I’m just not ready to sell it.  I always hoped one of you kids would want it.  With the economy the way it is, I think I would lose a lot of money on it.”

“That is true mom and it is a nice house.”

“Jerry and I have been thinking about downsizing.  With Josh off to school in the fall, we think our house is going to be too big for us.”

“It would be so cool to live at grandma’s house.  It would be closer to school and my friends” Jerry’s daughter Amy said. 

“Yeah, just think how much money I would save on gas.  We would be closer to all the stores too.”

“That’s a rousing endorsement” Jerry said.  "We’ll think about it and let you know mom."

“Okay dear.  It would thrill me to no end to have family in that home.  Who’s hungry for dessert?” and we all went to the table.  





 

No comments: