The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, December 31, 2012

Mrs. Dunkin #35

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  





35



We ate our dessert and then Jack said “Let’s open presents.” 



We all sat down and I handed out envelopes to everyone.  Jack and Jill passed out all the gifts and everyone opened theirs up with great gusto. 



I could see Josh looking at me and I gave him a wink.  He came up to me and gave me a big hug and he said “thanks grandma you’re the best” and we were the only two who knew what he was talking about.


Things were winding down and Julie said “Mom’s got to be back by 8 Jerry.”

“Okay, whenever you’re ready mom “he said to me. 

I started getting up and Julie said “I’ll pack up your stuff.”

We all put on our coats and Julie gave the bag to Jerry.   We all hugged and kissed each other goodbye. 

When we got to the home, Josh said “I’ll walk gram in” he said.

We walked into the day-room it was all quiet already.  He walked me to my room and put the bag on the table.  “I just wanted to say thanks again grandma.”

“You don’t have to thank me” and gave him a big hug and said “now go on, go” and he left.

I was feeling stuffed so I got my nightclothes on.  Just as I was getting into bed my phone rang.  

“Hello?”

“Hi Annie, Merry Christmas.”

“Hi Stella, Merry Christmas.”

“I’m sorry I haven’t called but I know you know what this feels like.”

“I do.”

“I tried to get into the place you were at but they didn’t have a bed.  I’m at a new place that recently opened its okay.”

“Now Stella, you have to have a positive attitude and it will be better.  You voice sounds a lot better.  How’s your arm doing?”

“It’s slow going but it’s improving.  Did you go to Julie’s for Christmas?”

“Yes, I just got back.  I think I must have eaten too much.  I’m not feeling well.”

“I’ll let you go then and you get some rest.”

“Okay, night Stella.  I’ll talk to you another day” and I hung up.

I went right to sleep.

The next morning when I got up I still didn’t feel well.  When Kate came in with my medication, I told her I was feeling sick and a little nauseous.  She checked my temperature and I had a fever.  

“Looks like maybe you’ve got the flu” she said.

“How can that be I had a flu shot early this year?”

“I guess you are just one of the unlucky ones.  I’m going to have to close your door and put a sign on it for people to know to you have it. I’ll call the doctor and have him come check on you.”

“Okay, I’m too sick to argue with you” and Kate left closing the door behind her. 

The doctor came in later in the afternoon and confirmed that he thought I had the flu.  He gave orders to put me on fluids and bed rest.  Frankly, that’s about all I could do anyhow.

The rest of the week, I lay in bed half-heartedly watching TV and sleeping.  My kids called to check up on me and I told them I wasn’t well enough for visitors.

On New Year’s Day, the phone started ringing “Hello.”

“Mom how are you doing” Julie asked.

“I’m still a little ill but this is the best I’ve felt so far.”

“I don’t suppose you want to come over for pork and sauerkraut then?”

“No, just hearing those words turns my stomach.”

“It sounds like you’ve turned the corner though.  You will be up and about soon.”

“Is that your professional opinion?”

“Yes it is.”

“I’m finally getting my money back from your education.”

“See you are already starting to get your sense of humor back” and she laughed.

“Ha, ha, ha, I’ll talk to you later doctor when I’m feeling a hundred percent.”

“Bye Mom” and she hung up.

I got up and decided I really needed to get into the shower.  Just as I was about to go in Kate came in and said “I was wondering Annie, do you want to try a little more solid food for lunch?”

“I am starting to feel better.  Okay,  I’ll try it.  I’m going to get in the shower.”

At lunchtime, Cheryl brought in a piece of chicken, au gratin potatoes and carrots.  I ate it up and then for the rest of the day.  I just rested.
  




No comments: