The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, February 8, 2013

Mary #47

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.




47

Mary put on some more deodorant, brushed her teeth and washed her face.  She combed her hair out and left it long.  When she came downstairs, Elizabeth was already waiting.

“We’re fast when we have to be” she said laughing.

“I’m going to get some plates out and put them on the kitchen table” Mary said with a little tremble in her voice. 

“Okayyyy” Elizabeth said as she got up and followed Mary into the kitchen.  She watched her and said “You seem a little nervous.”

“I am I guess.  Eli kissed me” she blurted out.

“He kissed you?  Details please?  Make it quick too because he should be here soon?”

“The night you stayed at your house.  He came over and cut the grass just before dark.  When he was done, he came in for some water.  He doesn’t drink by the way.  He asked how you were doing.  I told him about me losing my job and that’s when I talked to him about renting out the land for crops.  I don’t know what it is about him but I want to spill my guts to him” and she laughed.

“And what about the kiss, how did that happen?”

“It just happened.  I followed him out the door to say goodbye.  We were on the porch and he turned around.  We were so close that we stared at each other for a couple of seconds and then he just gave me a quick kiss on the lips.”

“And then?”

“He left.  He didn’t say a word, he just left.  I hadn’t spoken to him until tonight.”

“Wow, very romantic.  Oh my, I think he’s here.  I see headlights coming down the driveway” and she squealed with delight. 

“Make sure you act like you don’t know.”

“I will.  Go to the door he’s knocking” she said excitedly.

Mary and Lulu went to the door.  “Hi Eli, come on in.” 

“Hi Mary.”

He saw Elizabeth come into the kitchen and he put the pizza on the table.  “Hi Elizabeth, I don’t know if you remember me but I’m Eli” and he shook her hand.

“Of course I remember you Eli.  How could I ever forget a handsome guy like you” and Elizabeth could see Mary shaking her fist behind his back at her. “It was so nice of you to think about us and bring a pizza.  Here” pointing at the kitchen table “let’s sit over here.”

“Okay” Eli said. 

“What would you all like to drink?”

“I’ll just have water” Eli said.

“Me too” Elizabeth agreed.

Mary put some ice in three glasses, filled them with water and passed them out. 

Elizabeth and Eli had already put slices of pizza on their plates and someone had put one on Mary’s.   She sat down and they started eating. 

“I hope this isn’t an inappropriate time to bring this up but I was sorry to hear about your husband.  I met him a few times here at the farm and he seemed like a real nice guy.”

“He was” Elizabeth said.  “Thank you for bringing him up.”

“This is good pizza” Mary said.

“I always thought so too but something tastes off to me.”

“I know that you just had your treatment Elizabeth it might be from that” Eli offered.

“Yeah, why didn’t I think of that?  They told me this might happen.”

“My wife’s mother had treatments.  I remember certain foods left a bad taste in her mouth.”

“Good thing you mentioned it.  It would have probably taken me a few days before I figured it out.   I had two pieces of Mary’s apple cake earlier and that tasted good.  Maybe I’ll only be able to eat sweets from now on.  Wouldn’t that be grand” and they all laughed. 

“I’ll have to buy chocolate and see if that will be good for you” Mary said.

Elizabeth pushed the pizza away and said “I’m through.  I can’t stomach the taste.”

“I’ll make something else for you” and Mary started to get up from the table.

“No, I’m really not hungry anymore anyhow. I’m more exhausted then anything.  I hope you don’t think I’m rude Eli but I think I’m going to put my pajama’s on and go to bed.”

“No, no, that’s okay.  Don’t worry about it.”

“I’ll help you upstairs” Mary said.

“You don’t have to do that” Elizabeth said.

“No, I insist.  I’ll be right back Eli” and she walked up the steps with Elizabeth.

When they got to the bedroom Mary whispered “Are you really tired or are you just trying to leave me and Eli alone together?” 

“No, I’m really exhausted.  Who knows how I’ll sleep tonight with the steroids.  While I’m tired I’m going to sleep.”

“Okay, then.  If you wake up and you hear us talking you can come down you know?”

“I won’t.”  Elizabeth got into bed and Lulu jumped up with her.  Mary covered them both and closed the door behind her.  



No comments: