The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mrs. Dunkin #41

This is a continuing story.  To see the rest click here.  


This will be the last chapter for Mrs. Dunkin for now or perhaps forever.  I'm not really sure. 
Edited:  oops, I don't know why I posted this on Sunday.  Must be senioritis.   


41



I put my nightclothes on in the bathroom and when I came out, I was startled to see Jerry sitting at the table.  “I didn’t know you were coming.”


“I didn’t know I was coming either and then I found myself here.”


“Is something wrong?”


“Not really, I do have a couple of things on my mind though that I wanted to talk to you about.”


“Like what?”


“Sue told me about the great time she had doing the bingo but she said you seemed out of sorts.  I was worried about you.”


“I was a little distracted.  I found out Stella was in the hospital again and I was worried. I didn’t really want to tell Sue but Julie called tonight and said Stella is going to be fine.”


“That’s good.”


“What else is on your mind?”


“Can I ask you a question mom?”


“I don’t see why not.”


“Why don’t you really want to sell the house all of a sudden?”


Make this good Annie I thought. “I told you on Christmas, I don’t think we’d get a good price for it.  All the work your father and I put into it.  I could almost hear him tell me it’s not a good time to sell. It’s as simple as that.”


“Is that the only reason?”


“Why should there be another reason?”


“No, I’m not saying that.”


“You know I don’t need the money now so why should I take a loss on selling the house.  If you don’t want to move there we can rent it out.”


“I’m not saying that.  We got a Christmas card from an old co-worker of mine who was working for the company in Georgia.  He is transferring back here.  He asked if I knew any place that they could rent because they are over-extended and will probably take a loss on their house.”


“Oh?”


“I called him and asked him if he would be interested in my house.  He’s got four kids and it would be perfect for them.  He said he would be very interested.  I told him I would call him back and let him know for sure.”


“I see and is there a problem?”


“Not really, Sue, the kids and I have talked it over and we think it would be a good move for us.  I would want to pay rent.””


“Oh no, you would be doing me a favor.  You could pay the taxes and of course the utilities.  Since your father died, there are some things that need to be fixed.  You could pay for that.  When do you think you would be moving in?”


“We would be out of our house at the end of February.  They would be coming in March some time.”


“You’ve got a lot of work to do then to empty my house out first.”


“I know but Sue and I thought since she won’t be working full time for a while, she can work on it after she’s done here for the day and then the kids and I can come and help.”


“Sounds like a plan.  Have you told Julie?  I’m sure there are some things she might like.”


“No, I’ll have to do that.  I know she’s taken a few things.  I’ll call her tonight when I get home and talk to her about it.”


“This thrills me to no end Jerry, to know that family will be living there. Too bad Josh will be going to school out of state and won’t get to enjoy it much.”


“Have you talked to him about it recently?  He’s decided now he wants to go to a college in Ohio.  He did apply for a lot of schools in Ohio as well as out of state.”


“I’m surprised.  He always wanted to go out of state.  What changed his mind?”


“He said he wanted to be closer to home so he could come home on the weekends if he wanted to.  Also, when he looked at the cost for out of state he thought it was crazy.”


“Hmm, he knows his grandfather and I have put money away for all of his college, right?”


“Yes, but he seems to think he can get a good education here.  Besides, maybe the school he ends up picking WILL cost as much as out of state would” and he laughed.


I looked at the clock and it was going on 7:30.  I said “You better leave.  Sue is probably holding dinner for you.”


“You’re right.” He gave me a big hug and a kiss and started walking to the door.  He turned and said “Thanks mom, I love you.”


“I love you too Jerry.  Be careful going home.”


I turned the lights off and settled into the bed.  I knew I would have a good night’s sleep tonight.  




No comments: