The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, March 1, 2013

Mary #50

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.




                                                                         50         

“So do you know a place” Mary asked as they were driving down the road. 

“Yeah, it’s in the square.  Can you believe it; I guess the place has been there for years.  I never noticed it.  They sell wigs and scarfs only.”

“Is it named Kimmies or Kathy’s or something like that?”

“Kimmies, do you know the place?”

“Yeah, when I was young one time I went in there and I thought I could get a wig to wear for Halloween.  That was until I went in and saw the prices.  I was real young at the time.”

“It must be ancient then if it was around when we were kids” and they both laughed.

Mary pulled into a parking space right in front of the shop.  Mary put her hand on the handle to open it and she noticed Elizabeth was still just sitting there not moving.

“Are you sure you’re okay to do this now” Mary asked as she put her hand on Elizabeth’s hand.

“No, but it’s got to be done” and Elizabeth reached for the handle and opened the door.

When they went into the shop, they heard a clanging from the bell on top of the door.  

 “I’ll be right with you” they heard from the back.    

On the whole perimeter of the shop there were wigs of different lengths, colors and styles.

Mary said “Who knew there would be so many too choose from?”

On the middle tables there were all kinds of different hats and scarfs.  Suddenly, they heard “And what can I do for you ladies today” a little old woman asked.

“I’m thinking of buying a wig” Elizabeth said shakily. 

“Do you want to browse a little first, or do you want to get right to it” she smiled.

“I’m not sure” she hesitantly.

“Maybe we’ll browse” Mary said.

“Okay” the woman said.  “I’ll be right over here if you need some help.

Mary took Elizabeth back over to the wigs and said “First we have to decide on the color.  Have you ever thought about being a brunette?”

“Yes, but I think I might lose my eyebrows and I’m going to look like a freak then.”

“No you won’t” and she could see tears coming down Elizabeth’s cheeks.

“I don’t mean to interrupt but can I be of help” the old woman asked.

“I’m not even sure I want a wig” Elizabeth said through her tears.

“Then dear, you don’t have to buy one.  My name is Frances by the way.  Not everyone feels comfortable in a wig.  I remember years ago when I needed one, I went kicking and screaming but I bought one and then I didn’t like it. I then wore only scarfs.”

“Did you have cancer?”

“Yes, I did.  When I went into remission I opened up this shop.  The wigs they had back then were nothing like they are now.  I make sure the ones in my store are going to be comfortable for people when they lose their hair.  I also buy the most beautiful hats and scarfs I can find on the market.”

“I don’t mean to be such a baby” Elizabeth said.

“I learned a few things from having cancer and one was you don’t have control over a lot of things.  So I say control the things you can; if you feel sad show it; happy show it; mad show it.  The people you love will understand and those that don’t who gives a hell about them” and we all laughed.

“Maybe I should try on some wigs just to see if I would like one” she said now feeling more comfortable.

“Okay, pick one and come to the chair and we’ll try it on for you.”

Elizabeth looked around and picked one with a similar color to her own and long.

She sat at the stool and the woman said “We’re first going to put this on your head to cover your hair.  It will be easier to get the wig on.”  The woman carefully put it on Elizabeth and put the wig on her. 

She looked in the mirror and said “It looks okay but I’m not sure.”

Mary brought over a short wig and said “Try this one on.”

The woman tried the short wig on Elizabeth “I like this one.  I hate to spend the money though if I decide in the end I don’t like wearing it.”

“I do have a return policy.  If you don’t like it, I give half the money back and then I donate the wig to the hospital.  They give them to woman that can’t afford wigs.”

“That’s very generous of you” Mary said.

“No, it’s my privilege to do it” and she smiled.

“I’ll take this one” Elizabeth said.  “I’m going to look at the scarfs and hats too.”

“Okay” said the woman.  “I’ll pack this up for you.”

Mary and Elizabeth looked through the hats and scarfs.  Elizabeth found about six scarfs that she liked and she took them up to the counter.

The woman checked her out.  Mary and Elizabeth were about to leave and the woman said “I have a class once a month showing women how to do their make-up when they are doing treatments.  As a matter of fact, I have one tomorrow afternoon.  I have an opening if you would like to come.”

Elizabeth thought for a second “That sounds like something I might like.  What time?”

“10.”

“Okay, I’ll see you in the morning” and they left the store.  



No comments: