The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, March 15, 2013

Mary #52

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.





52



When the soup was done they both sat down and ate until they were stuffed. 


“I’m not feeling well” Elizabeth said.

“Did you take your pills?”

“Yes, I think I ate too much soup.  I didn’t even nap today.  Maybe I’m going to go to bed for the night and see if I can sleep.”

“I thought we could work on the plans tonight?”

“Maybe tomorrow, if that’s okay.”

“Sure.  You go on upstairs and I’ll clean up.  I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night” and Elizabeth went upstairs.

Mary ran the water in the sink and put the dishes in.  As she washed the dishes, she thought about what she could do since she had the rest of the evening to herself.  She decided she would bite the bullet and call Sadie and tell her about her plans. 

When she was done she went to the bathroom, got a bottle of wine and a glass and went and sat on the sofa.  She picked up the phone and dialed Sadie’s number.  It rang and rang until the answering machine picked up “Hi Sadie.  It’s Mary.  I had some free time.  Sorry you’re not home.” and then she heard…

“Hello? Mary, let me turn this answering machine off.”

Mary waited.

“Hi, I was just coming in from the store.  How are you doing?

“Pretty good, I have a lot to tell you.  Do you want to just call me back?”

“No, I can put away my stuff while we talk.”

“You’re sounding a lot better.”

“Yeah, I’m on antibiotics.  How’s your friend doing?”

“Pretty well, we went and bought her a wig and some scarfs today and she was exhausted so she went to bed already.”

“Aww.  So what news do you have for me?”

“I decided to make some big changes in my life mostly due to the fact that I lost my job but I might have done it anyhow.”

“What kind of changes?”

“First of all, I’m going to be moving back to Ohio. I’m going to be opening a bed and breakfast inn in my parent’s home.” 

Mary waited for a response but one didn’t come. 

“I know it probably seems like a rash decision but when I got home, I found I really missed living here.  I don’t think I could find as good a job that paid as well in New York. 

Mary waited for a response again but nothing. 

“I don’t know if I can make money doing it but my brothers both agreed to let me try.”  She was hearing no sound on the other end of the line and she asked “Sadie, are you still there?”

“Yes” she heard in a quiet voice.

“I thought maybe we got disconnected because you haven’t said anything.”

“Maybe because I’m shocked, I don’t know what to say Mary.”

“I can understand that coming out of the blue like this.  Elizabeth gave me the idea one day and the more I thought about it, the more I thought it could be a possibility.  Then everything seemed to fall into place.”

“Well, I’m glad for you Mary if this is what you want.  What are going to do about your apartment?”

“My lease is up at the end of the year.  I’ll have to come back and pack up the stuff and bring it here which I don’t think will be all that much.  I probably won’t need any of my furniture.  I thought if you wanted some of it you could have it.  If not, I’ll donate it all.”

“I’ve got nothing to do right now.  Let me know if you want help with that.  I could call and get them to haul it away for you.”

“Thanks, I’ll let you know.  Any prospects for a new job yet.”

“I haven’t even tried yet really.”

“Oh, it’s probably better to wait a while anyhow I suppose.”

“I can’t believe you’re going to be leaving New York Mary.  I’ll be so sad to not have you around all the time.”

“I’ll miss you too but we’re not going to be that far away from each other.  Trust me; it isn’t that long of a drive.  We can visit each other all the time.”

“You’re right I suppose.  Mary, can I call you back in about a half hour?”

“Sure, I’ll talk to you then. Bye” and she heard Sadie hang up. 

Mary felt bad when she hung up.  She could tell that Sadie was upset.  She thought maybe she should say something about her working at the B&B but then thought better of it.  She didn’t even know if she would need her help for sure. 

 

No comments: