The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, March 8, 2013

Mary #51

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.



51



Mary and Elizabeth didn’t say much on the drive home until Mary said “Frances seemed nice, didn’t she?”



“You know I was just thinking about her.  You just never know when angels are going to come into your life.  She made me feel at ease once I had my little hissy fit.”




“It wasn’t exactly a hissy fit” and Mary laughed.

“Just like you Mary.  You swooped down just when I needed someone.”

“I’m not an angel Elizabeth.”

“You are to me.”

They started down the driveway and Mary said “I think Eli’s here already.”

Elizabeth looked at her watch “Oh my goodness, its 3:00 already.  I didn’t realize we were there that long.”

“Me either” and they got out of the car.

“Sorry, we weren’t here.  We lost track of the time I guess” Mary said.

 “It’s entirely my fault” Elizabeth said.

He was getting is tools out of his truck and said “Don’t worry about it.  I just got here. I was getting ready to knock on the door.”

Mary let everyone in and Eli said “I’ll go to the basement.”

“Okay” Mary said.

“I’m going to go put these upstairs” Elizabeth said.

“And then you’ll be right back down.  Do you know we haven’t eaten all day?  That can’t be good for you.”

“Okay” and she went upstairs.

Mary opened the refrigerator and was looking for something to eat.  She didn’t see anything that appealed to her.  When she opened the pantry door she noticed some chicken stock.

She grabbed it, got some celery, carrots and onions out of the fridge.  She put the stock in a pot and started cutting up the veggies. 

“What are you making” Elizabeth asked as she entered the kitchen.

“Soup, I’ve got these vegetables I thought I’d use up before they get bad.”

“I’ll get a knife and help.”

They put all the vegetables in the pot and started it cooking. 

Elizabeth said “I think I’ll call Donna and see if she wants to take me tomorrow for the make-up thing.”

“Are you sure because I can do it?”

“I don’t want Donna’s feelings to be hurt.  I know she wants to do something for me.”

“Okay.”

Elizabeth picked up her phone and went into the other room and called Donna.

“Yep, you need a part” Eli said startling Mary.  “Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“No that’s okay.  Is this going to be expensive?”

“I’ll only charge you for the part, the labor will be free” he said as Elizabeth came into the room.

“What can be better than free labor?  We’ll take it” and Elizabeth and Eli laughed. 

“When can you fix it” Mary asked.

“I called the parts place and they have it in.  It’ll take a few hours to put it in.  I can come tomorrow if you’re not going to be busy.”

“She won’t be.  I’m going to be going out with Donna about 10 for an appointment so you can come then" Elizabeth said grinning.

Mary said “Let’s let Eli make the decision when would be best for him.”

“10 would be good for me” Eli said.
 
“Eli would you like to stay to eat.  We’re making soup” Elizabeth said.

“I’d like to but I have to get to the store and pick up the part.  They are going to be closed tomorrow.  In fact I have about an hour to get it.  So, I’ll have to be leaving soon.”

Mary said “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Eli hesitated for a second and said “Bye” and he left. 

“That was rather abrupt” Elizabeth said.

“What do you mean?”

“He said he had to leave soon not immediately.  It was like you were kicking him out saying see you tomorrow like that.”

“I was getting a little uncomfortable.  It was like you were broadcasting that you knew about me and him.”

“I was not.”

“It seemed like it to me.”

“I was just being friendly” and they heard a knock at the door.

Mary opened it and it was Eli.  “Did you forget something?”

“Yes, I bought some chocolate for you and Elizabeth and I forgot to bring it in.”

“Thank you.  That was very thoughtful of you.  Here Elizabeth, I’m going to walk Eli out.”

Elizabeth took the candy and Mary walked outside with Eli.

“I really want to thank you again for looking at the furnace.”

“That’s okay” and Eli got into the car.

Mary bent down and gave Eli a kiss and said “I’ll see you tomorrow” and she turned and waved as he drove away.

When she came in Elizabeth said “I’m sorry I overstepped the bounds.”

“No, I’m sorry” and she gave her a hug.  “I guess I like him so much I’m just waiting for something to go wrong.”

“Just keep the faith Mary.  I think he’s the one.”


No comments: