The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, May 24, 2013

Mary #62

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.









SORRY FOR THE SMALL PRINT, BLOGGER IS NOT COOPERATING.


This is the last chapter of Mary I'm posting.


62

Eli went in the fridge and got sausage out and two different kinds of cheeses.  He got out two kinds of crackers and a cutting board.

“Mary, get some plates of out that cupboard right next to the sink.  You can put the crackers on them and I’ll start cutting the sausage and cheese.”

Mary got some plates out and starting putting the crackers on the plate when she heard her cell phone ring.  

“Excuse me” she said.

“Hello…Thank you for calling doctor…I’ll pick her up in the morning.  Bye”

Mary went back to the counter “Lulu’s doing pretty well” as tears came to her eyes.

Eli hugged Mary. 

“That’s enough crying for one day from me” she said.  “I know Lulu’s in good hands and I’m not going to worry about her for now.”

“Okay, let’s get this food ready, I’m starving” Eli said.

Mary got the crackers put on the plate and Eli finished cutting up the sausage. 

She said “Why don’t you let me do the cheese and you can find that wine” and she laughed.

Eli went and got the wine and opened it up.  He poured a glass for her and then took the crackers into the living room and put them on the big coffee table.   

“It’s a little warm but would you like a fire?”

“Oh yes” Mary said.

As the fire started crackling Mary was done with the cheese and sausage and she put them on the coffee table.  “Do you have any napkins?”

Eli went into the kitchen and said “Nope, we’ll have to use paper towels.”

“That’s good enough” and he brought them in and sat next to Mary.

“What do you think TV or would you like to listen to some music on the radio?”

“Music would be fine with me.”

He turned the radio on to a classic rock station and said “How about this?”

“It’s great.  Hey I haven’t seen your dog.”

“He’s outside roaming the woods.  When he wants in, trust me he’ll let us know.”

They listened to the music while they ate. 

“I really love classic rock, does that mean I’m getting old” Mary said.

“That must mean I am too.”

A love song came on “I remember this was so popular when I went to high school dances.”

Eli stood up and said, “Miss Jenkins, May I have this dance?”

“You certainly may.”

Mary got up and put her arms around the back of his neck.

He put his arms around her waist and pulled her close.  Mary closed her eyes and they swayed back and forth to the music.  When the song ended, they kept dancing the same way even thought a rap song came on.

Suddenly, they heard a howling from outside that interrupted their dancing. 

“I guess that must be Ralph” Mary laughed.

“I told you we would know when he wanted to come in” and he went to the door and opened it.

When Ralph came in and saw Mary he was excited.  He jumped on her pushing her to the couch and kissing her all over. 

“Ralph, stop that.  Get off her” Eli said pulling the dog off Mary.  “Ugh, you’re all wet and you stink too.  Sorry, he must have been in the creek.” 

“That’s okay, I guess he likes me.  I hate to tell you this Ralph but you need a bath.

“And your clothes are all muddy.”

Mary looked and said “Yuck, you’re right.”

“Let me get you something to change into.”

“Why don’t we give Ralph a bath first?  Where do you do it?”

“I usually just take him in the shower.  I always get wet anyhow.  But you don’t have to help.”

“No, I want to.  It will be fun.”

“Okay, but I’m telling you.  You’re going to get wet.”

“That’s okay.”

“Bath time Ralph, follow him he knows where it is.  I’ll get his soap. Go on Ralph.”

She followed Ralph and he went right through what looked like Eli’s bedroom and into the bathroom, right into the shower and waited.

Mary was laughing when Eli came in “What’s so funny” he asked.

“I can’t believe it. Ralph went right into the shower and is waiting for you” and she broke out into a howl of laughter. 

“Yep, he’s a pretty smart dog.”



No comments: