The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Me and Mom

Monday, I had my appointment with the oncologist.  Luckily, everything seems to be okay.  He said I could come back in a year but I said I'd be back in six months.  I just don't feel comfortable waiting a year.  I'll be stopping my medication that I'm taking in July from him because you are only supposed to take it for 5 years and time will be up.  Then it will be scary. When I'm taking the medication I at least feel I'm still doing something.  It will be strange to not have to take it. 

So, I'll go in six months again.  Be all nervous, for a month before I go and hopefully, everything will be good.  I don't think I'll ever get over the feeling of being nervous when it's time to go.

Mom isn't doing so great.  When we there on Friday I noticed her coughing a little.  By the time we got there on Sunday they were doing breathing treatments on her.  Monday as we were driving to see her the nurse called and mom was worse.  They called the doctor and he put her back on oxygen.  They were also going to do a chest x-ray.  When we got there mom was not pleased with having to be on the oxygen but I could tell her cough was worse.  Also, she had a problem with her roommate during the night.  Because she was so aggravated about the oxygen and not being mobile I couldn't get a clear picture of what happened.  The nurse said she had to report it to the director.

Tuesday when no one called about the x-ray, I finally was able to get a hold of the nurse.  They put her on an antibiotic because she's been running a low grade fever.  She doesn't have pneumonia but she does have congestive heart failure so they doubled the dose again for the water pill.  Plus the breathing treatments and they will be checking her blood.  The same nurse that was there Monday was there Tuesday and she said she thought mom was worse.  When they were taking her to the day room, she said mom was having such a hard time breathing that she couldn't wheel herself down like she normally does.

I asked how it went with the roommate over night and I guess it went okay but the social worker is supposed to talk to the roommate some time.

Why is it, as soon as you get one thing off your mind something is always waiting to replace it, ugh!!!  It's not like I don't have other things I have to work out.  I'll have some cheese with my whine LOL.


Julie Schuler said...

Congratulations on your continued good health. But you have my sympathy for your mother's condition. I hope she is as comfortable as can be.

Wanda said...

I know your anxiety Viki, my husband now goes in yearly to his oncologist and I remember dealing with my mother's failing health 3 years ago, it's a very difficult and sad time to go through.
Smiles to you,

Cathryn said...

Congratulations to you on your health! That's always very good to hear.

I'm sorry about your mother. It's not easy and I hope she improves soon.

Sending you *Zen Hugs* today.

Anonymous said...

Yes, congrads on your check up. I don't think mom takes the medicine any more either. You'll be fine!
Hope your mom gets better, I know its ruff you just have to hang in there and take one day at a time- mike