The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, April 12, 2013

Mary #56

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.
  
Bloggers screwed up, sorry I can't make the font normal size.  I will try to correct it as soon as it will let me.                                                                               
56


Mary decided she would stay on the porch but she went in to get her knitting supplies.  She decided she would start making another hat for Elizabeth.

After a while Eli came out and sat on the other rocker and said “I’m done.  I turned the heat up and it turned on.”

“That’s a good sign” Mary said. 

“Yeah, it’ll take a few minutes to see if it warms up in there because of the weather we’re having.  If it works like I’m hoping it does, you just might have to open the windows to cool the house off.”

“That’s okay.  I don’t mind.  Pretty soon they won’t be opened until the spring.”

“What are you making?”

“It’s going to be a hat for Elizabeth for the winter.  She bought some stuff but none of that I don’t think are going to be warm enough when it’s snowy and the wind is blowing.”

“I see, so you have some skills too that I don’t know about."

“You’ll just have to wait to find out about some of the skills I have."

“I’m looking forward to it" he said chuckling.

“Hey you two, mind if I join you” Elizabeth asked.

“Of course not” Mary said.

Eli got up off the rocker and said “sit here” and she sat down.

Eli sat on the railing.  

“It’s getting very warm in the house; I guess you must have fixed the furnace.”

“I better go turn it down in there now before it gets too hot” and he went into the house.

“Making me another hat” Elizabeth asked.

“Yes, I enjoy knitting so much.  In New York, I really didn’t do it much.  It’s almost therapeutic for me.”

Eli came out “Yeah, the furnace is working well now.  You shouldn’t have any more problems with it.”

“Eli I want to thank you again for the chocolate.  I took it up to my room. When I couldn’t sleep I ate some. I think I might be like your mother-in-law and sweets won’t bother me.”

“Well, I’m happy.  The next time I’m in town I’ll get you some more.  Now that the furnace is done I’m going to go.  I have a few things to do at home before dark.”

“I really appreciate that you fixed the furnace.”  Mary said and started to get up.

“No you sit.  I’m going to grab my tools and I’ll go out the back door.  It was nice talking to you Elizabeth.”

“You too.”

Eli bent down to Mary and gave her a kiss.  When he stood up, he gave a wink to Elizabeth and left.

Elizabeth was stunned for a second and didn’t know what to say and then she said “Wow.  He kissed you in front of me.”

“That’s because he figured out you knew that we had kissed.”

“Ooops” Elizabeth said.

“I told him about going to New York to bring stuff back.”

“Did you ask if he would go with you?”

“I didn’t get the chance.  He told me he could go with me if I wanted him to.  I just have to figure when I can get away.”

“You don’t have to plan your trip around me you know.  I’ll be fine either by myself or I can have someone stay with me at my house.”

“I know but I definitely want to go to your treatment.  We’ll still have stuff to work on for the B&B.”

“Okay then, how about the week after that.  I should be good by then and when you get back they’ll still be a couple of weeks before Christmas.  I can’t believe Christmas will be here soon.”

“Me either.  Maybe we can put the tree up Thanksgiving weekend and decorate the house.  I missed that so much when I was in New York.”

“Did you have a tree?”

“My place was very small.  I had to get a small artificial one.  I missed having a real one.  We’ll have to cut one from the backwoods.”

“Maybe if it’s nice tomorrow we can go scout the woods out and see if there’s one we like.”

“Sounds good.  How are you feeling?”

“Today’s the last day I have to take my pills.  Thank goodness. I noticed this morning when I got up there was some hair on my pillow.  I guess it’s starting.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I’ll probably wait until I can’t stand it anymore and I’ll have Jody just shave it.  I just hope my head looks good bald.”

“I’m sure it will.  I’m getting hungry but don’t feel like making anything.  How about I pick up some fast food?”

“That would be okay with me.  What should we get?”

“Do they have a Subway around here?”

“Yes, it’s on 42 in the shopping center.  I would have a veggie one, on wheat bread, a small one.”

“Okay, I’m going to go.  Do you need anything else while I’m out?”

“Could you pick up some ginger ale?  I’m not really nauseous but sometimes my stomach just feels off. There’s a beverage store right next door to Subway.”

“Okay, I’ll be right back.”  Mary got in her car and took off down the road.




No comments: