The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, April 19, 2013

Mary #57

This is a continuing story.  If you want to read from the beginning, please go to my side bar to the labels and click on story-Mary or click here.







57

Mary went to the beverage store first.  She picked up a couple of liters of ginger ale.  She also bought a couple of bottles of wine. 

When she went into Subway there was a pretty long line that Mary had to wait in.  As she looked up the line she saw Jimmy.  

“Hey Jimmy” and he turned around.

“Hi Mary” he said as he got out of line and walked up to her.

“You’re going to lose your place in like.”

“That’s okay; I’m not in a hurry.  Donna said Elizabeth seemed pretty good today.”

“So far she has been remarkable.  It seems like her treatments have hardly bothered her.  Although I’ve read the more treatments you have the harder it is to bounce back.”

“That’s how it was with Donna.  And how are you doing?”

“Wonderful.  I’m going to be going to New York in about a week after Elizabeth’s next treatment to pack up the stuff I’m going to be bringing home.”

“How are you doing about the other thing?  You know Mitch?”

“To tell you the honest truth, since I told you about it I haven’t even thought about it.”

“But don’t you think you should try to find out what happened.”

“I’ve thought about it a lot all these years and honestly don’t remember.  Mitch is dead so I can’t get any answers from him.  I don’t see what good it would do anyhow.  I’m pretty sure it’s a closed chapter in my life now.”

“Okay, just know you can talk to me about it if you feel like you need to.”

Mary gave Jimmy a hug and said “Okay Big Brother.  It’s your turn to order” and he went up to the counter.  When he was done he stepped aside and Mary ordered and got her food.  They walked out together.

When they got outside he said “Mary did you check with the city to see if you need a license to open an inn. Or if the property is even zoned for something like that?”

“No I never thought of that.  I better check that out pretty quick I guess.”

“Let me know if any issues come up because I know some people that will be able to help if there is.”

“Okay thanks.  I’ll see you later. Bye”

They both got in their respective cars and left.  

Mary pulled into the driveway and came in the back door.  Elizabeth was sitting at the table drinking some water.  She put the bag on the table.  Elizabeth had already gotten the plates out and they started to eat.

“Are you okay?”

“I saw Jimmy at the Subway and he asked me some questions about the inn that I had no answers for.”

“Like what?”

“Like If this property is zoned where we can run an inn here; also any other fees or things.  I’m not sure how to even go about finding out.”

“We could always have my lawyer look into it.  He’s pretty good.”

“That would be great.”

“It’s too late to call now.  I’ll call him in the morning and explain the situation and he can look into it for us.”

“I would be crushed if this all fell apart.”

“Don’t worry if there’s a problem, he’ll figure out how to fix it.  He’s a pretty prominent part of the community and he can get a lot of things done when others can’t.”

“Jimmy said he knew some people too, so there’s that.”

Elizabeth said “Have you noticed anything different about Lulu?”

“I have noticed she seems a little thinner since I got here?”

“She seems like she’s getting thinner to me too.  The last time when I was petting her it’s like I could almost feel her bones.”

Lulu was sitting by the table and Mary reached down and felt her.  “I see what you’re saying. Do you think it’s just because she’s so old?”

“I’m not sure.  Maybe she needs to go to a vet.”

“Do you know any?”

“Yes, we had a good one when we had our dog. Besides calling the lawyer tomorrow, I’ll call and make an appointment for Lulu.”

“I hope she’s going to be okay.”

“Mary, like you said she is old, very old.  She might be the oldest cat in the world for all we know” and they laughed.

“I guess I better prepare myself in case it isn’t good news.  She was playing with a stray cat today but she didn’t seem her normal perky self.  Although when I told her to get out of the flowers she did.”

“I’m done eating” Elizabeth said as she put her dish in the sink.  “I’m going to head upstairs.  I’ll see you in the morning.  Night”

“Good night.” 

Mary put her dish in the sink and went and sat down.  Lulu came and joined Mary on the sofa.  She was petting Lulu and she felt something that wasn’t bone.  It felt like a lump.   

“Lulu what’s this?” She pressed a little harder and Lulu let out a noise like it was painful.  “I’m sorry” and Mary started petting her on her on the head and she purred. 

Mary closed up the house and she and Lulu slept on the sofa.  




 

No comments: