The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Centus #13


It's Saturday Centus again - in a nutshell, Jenny Matlock gives us a prompt from either herself or a guest submitter and then we have to write 100 or words less related to the prompt (the prompt doesn't count toward the 100 words)  Then link it up to her blog.  It's open until the following Saturday, so that means you have all week to participate by either reading or writing a Centus. http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/07/saturday-centus-thats-why-it-meant-so.html  The prompt is in bold..


"Harry, have you been cleaning again? I'm going to visit Nancy tonight and I wanted to wear my old high school sweatshirt". 
 
"Oops, it looked raggedy.  I put it in the garage". 
 
"Harry you don't understand" . "Nancy and I had such good times in high school" and she started to cry. 


"That's why it meant so much to me and I saved it all these years.  Nancy's close to the end and I thought it might bring her some comfort".
 
Harry went to the garage and found the sweatshirt.  "Thanks, Harry.  I think it's going to bring me as much comfort as it will her".


17 comments:

Bookie said...

Oh, yes, again those simple things can mean so much to us. Don't we all have something sitting near us that reminds us of days gone by?

jfb57 said...

I've got one of my son's sweat shirts that mean that much! Great take on the prompt!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

When I moved here to get married for the last time (I promise), I got rid of all that "stuff" - and only shipped 150 pounds of the most sentimental stuff, like photos.

I'm afraid the sweatshirt wouldn't have made the cut - isn't that sad?

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt take on this prompt. It's the small things that make big things possible.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This is a lovely mix of sentiment and nostalgia and the end of life. It tugged at my heartstrings.

Jenny said...

Wait?

What is wrong with me?

Don't answer. It is a rhetorical question AND there's probably not enough space to write everything...

But...

I visualize a person dying in the hospital and this a final visit.

Yea.

I gotta let me imagination die down a bit.

Great use of the prompt!

Vicki/Jake said...

Awww, sweatshirts, blankies, pictures, whatever..
You reminded us to savor the *stuff*

Great way to take the prompt..

Tgoette said...

This was awesome, Viki! As the curtain closes on our lives it is a comfort to be surrounded by things that remind us of better days. This was a very touching, heartfelt story. Very well done!

Koby said...

I'm with Jenny...great job with the prompt.

Life@Cee said...

I'm glad Harry only took the sweat shirt as far as the garage.
Cee

easternsparkle said...

Strange how something so simple can mean so much...

Tina said...

I'm a saver. My old gymnastics team t-shirt. Cross country jacket from high school. This was beautifully sentimental and nicely done.

Susan Anderson said...

I think we can all relate to this story. Sometimes, those old things really do bring comfort.

Nice job!

=)

Tina said...

its nice to have kept the memory for so long. I think we all have one hidden away somewhere dont we.

Tina from
Mummy Diaries
Gossip Avenue
Travel Shack
Game FreakZ

linda said...

I've saved a few such things...sometimes they tend to smooth rough days.
Great take on the prompt.

Malisa said...

Very sweet! I hope this is pure fiction and not one word of truth in it! I enjoyed your story very much!

I just posted my tardy contribution for the week. Hope you stop by and read!

Malisa

Terra said...

oh so sweet. any little thing that can bring a warm memory in hard times is treasured. Nice story.