The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Monday, April 12, 2010

Grade School

I went to Catholic School from Kindergarten to 8th grade.   I went to this church and school until the 3rd grade. The school closed down many years ago.  The thing is the Bishop of Cleveland is closing quite a few churches.  Now the Church will  be closing.  The Church and parishioners are appealing the decision. This was me when I graduated from kindergarten. 


From 4th to 8th grade, I went to another school.  It was where my mom went to school and church.  Get a load of that hair style.  You can imagine how much teasing went into that. 



I think there were only two men lay teachers that I can remember.  I had both of them.

One was when I think I was in 4th grade. His name was Mr. Harris.   The thing that sticks with me about him was once  I laughed in Church and he made me scrub the classroom floor with steel wool LOL.

The second one was when I was in 8th grade. His name was Mr. Osinski (sp).   He was really a cool guy.  I believe he was much younger than Mr. Harris.  He used to play popular music and we danced.  Everyone wanted to be in his class. 

In those days though most of the classes were taught by nuns.

I remember being in class and finding out that President Kennedy was assassinated.  At school, we watched the funeral on TV.

At the time, I went to school we didn't wear uniforms and it was unheard of to where pants to school. Your dress or skirt had to go to your knees. You would have to kneel down and if it didn't touch the ground, they would pin Kleenex to your hem LOL.

Also, if you forgot a covering for your head for church, kleenex again.

In my experience, some nuns were nice and some - not so much.  Nowadays, they probably couldn't do what they did back then.  Of course back then, if you got in trouble at school the parents took the school's side ;-) and you would get punished again. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to wear a uniform and never liked it. We had to wear a tie including all of us girls. I could never tie my tie on straight, or my collar would stick up on one side.