The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Friday, January 22, 2010

Meal planning

This past weekend,  I did my first meal plan for the week although I didn't write the side dishes down. Hey, it's a start ;-)  Since there's only two of us now, I decided to make some things that I will be able to freeze.  This way I can just pull it out of the freezer.  On Monday, I made a double batch of spaghetti sauce.  We had it for two days and the rest I put in the freezer.  Over the weekend, I'm going to make a chuck roast and then pull it apart to make BBQ sandwich meat.  We'll eat some and the rest will go in the freezer.  Usually what we've been doing is eating it until it's all gone.  That can be too much.  I think this will be a great alternative. I know this isn't a new concept and I've always wanted to do it so it seems like now might be the time.  I'll have to think of others things I can do this with.  Some days, I just don't feel like cooking a whole big meal.  If I have to I could just defrost something in the microwave from the freezer and would have to only make side dishes.

I just have to figure out this cooking for two stuff again.  My husband and I usually eat supper at different times.  For most of our married life, he worked 3rd shift.  He usually eats whatever I cook in the evenings.  I don't eat much during the day so by 4:00 I'm ready to eat ;-).

Over the weekend, I'm going to take some pictures.  I haven't decided what I'm going to call them yet but it kinda goes with my 2010 goals, intentions, blah, blah, blah.  I have a lot of spots in my house that need attention.  Am I overwhelmed, too lazy, don't know what to do with the stuff, or plain old procrastinating?    Hopefully, in 2010, I will get these areas cleaned up. 

See you Monday. 

4 comments:

Cathryn said...

That sounds like a progressive plan of action Viki! Congratulations to you! I do that--because of my crazy teaching schedule that changes from semester to semester. I make extras to freeze for the nights I can't or don't have time to cook a full blown meal. It also saves my husband from having to eat leftovers night after night--which he doesn't like to do.

I also save some meals for his mother so when he visits he can take her pre-made/pre-packaged meals that all she has to do is nuke and eat.

Congratulations! Have a great weekend!

lagata said...

I used to freeze a lot more stuff when my kids were younger. Now, they mostly eat everything :) Of course that will change when they start leaving...

It is convenient that is for sure :)

Charmingdesigns said...

I like to eat at 4 too. I go go go
all day, then at 4...I'm ready. Hubbs likes to eat at 5:30...it is so close but yet so far.lol. Thanks for coming by to visit me.

Harvard Housewife said...

This post just reminded me I was supposed to be cooking! Oops, getting off blogs to make dinner.