The quieter you become the more you can hear ~ Ram Dass



Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Star Ornament & Memories




I've been in a melancholy mood the last couple of days. I chose this picture because when my son was in kindergarten, he made this ornament for us.  When I think back to that time, besides reading to him during the day, I was still reading him a story before he went to bed at night.  From the time, he was old enough to listen I felt it was very important to read to him and we always got to spend that one on one time together.

I always used to say the same thing to him before he went to sleep:  "Good night. Sleep tight.  I love you as big as the whole universe.  Happy dreams.  Good night. See you in the morning."  Eventually, I stopped reading to him but it was many years before I gave up the saying to him before he went to sleep.  When he was in junior high, they went to Washington, DC for their spring trip.  I even slipped a little note with that on it in his bag.  Did you have anything special you did with your children before they went to bed?

**********************************************************************************

I must be in this mood because of looking at all the pictures for my mom's photo album.  I have vague memories of my mother's mother.  From the time I remember her, she was ill.  She had Parkinson's disease and I always remember her sitting in a chair and shaking.  My grandfather was a character and a good man.  He had a two family house that you shared a bathroom and we lived in the back and he lived in the front.  I remember he used to make these really good fried potatoes, real thin.  I used to sneak in his kitchen when he was in the living room and take a few out of the frying pan LOL.  I'm sure he knew but he never said anything.  We used to watch TV with him and watched the polka show and wrestling.  It's nothing like the wrestling they have now LOL.

My father's mother was from Europe.  She came to America when she was pretty young. Every year for Christmas, she would give us a box of chocolate covered cherries.  Oh, how we loved them.  After she passed away, I picked up the tradition and gave them to mom, dad, my brother and sister-in-law.  Every year I wrap them and everyone laughs because they know what they are but if I didn't get them I know that my brother and sister-in-law would miss them.  My husband does the same for me. My grandmother was married twice and widowed twice before I was even born. 

Sometimes life seems to happen in a blink of an eye.

3 comments:

lagata said...

We would always read a story, sometimes sing a song, just snuggle and then I would bless them. Thanks for reminding me of those memories :o)

Anonymous said...

I am trying to suck up every second of their lives at this time. I hear you...........

Anonymous said...

Sorry hit send too soon.

I sing them the monster song I made up before they go to bed. It fills my heart with joy.